Which to buy FireGL or Radeon?

soulmaril

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I am planning to buy a new laptop an HP 8530. My choices are a p model or w model where w is a workstation.

Workstation has 1600 mhz front side bus up to 8 GB memory, 250 gb hdd wiht 7200 rpm, Intel® Core™2 Duo P8600 • 2,40 GHz CPU and 512 MB graphics card ATI Mobility FireGL 3D V5700 (based on HD3650)with GDDR3 memory.

And the pro model has 800 Mhz FSB, Intel® Core™2 Duo T9400 2,53 Ghz CPU and ATI Mobility Radeon HD3650 256 MB with DDR2 memory.

In total the workstation has seems to have a significant better performance. But I am not sure with the graphic card when it comes to gaming.

FireGL have more and better graphic mememory but since the FireGL is not designed specificaly for gaming which one will you be advising for me to buy? I dont what a expensive powerful computer which I will regret playing a Call of Duty 4 or Flight Simulator X

Thank you in advance.

soulmaril

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Have you ever experienced it yourself? I want to know how much the performance decreases with FireGL while the 512 MB GDDR3 memory will boost the performance. for example since they are the same graphic cards in root, -%15 performance loss with fireGL and +%15 performance benefit with ram could omit the effects. Besides workstation is more powerfull against pro model as a plus?

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Workstation graphics cards are coded differently and sometimes handle rendering differently. Like the guy said above, u can't game well on a FireGL.

Niether. Both cards are not good for gaming. DDR2 on a GPU is a no-no, and the FileGL is not well suited for gaming. Throw in the fact the cards a 3650, which wasn't the best for gaming to begin with, and you get a laptop that has limited gaming potential (beyond standard laptop limitations, of course).

soulmaril

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
The answer is simple. I dont pay for it myself. Limited choices. My company buys for me. So I need to make the wise choice :)

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
my brother has an HP workstation with a quadro, 512MB dedicated DDR3 for Vram. He can play L4D around 50FPS with almost everything up at 1920x1200, including 2x AA. The workstation card will handle it just fine.

Well, I certainly would not be comparing what you are buying to a workstation with a quadro, that is a huge, huge step up over what you are getting.

I would say go with the Fire GL though. Both cards are not exactly "gaming" cards, but the Fire GL would likely be a little better all around. This is NOT going to be an impressive gaming display either way you go. Besides, work computers are meant for work, if you want to play games spend your own money and buy something you can game on.