Question Which to choose? i5-12400F + B660M DS3H or Ryzen 5 5600X + B550M Aorus Elite?

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
I'm really torn which to choose between the two. I'm on a limited budget.

i5-12400F + B660M DS3H is priced at $311.15 + $30 (Cooler)

Ryzen 5 5600X + B550M Aorus Elite is priced at $319.80

*I still have a CPU Cooler - DeepCool Gammaxx 400 which is still compatible with the Ryzen 5 5600X
but I need to buy another for the i5-12400F which would cost me another $30

*If I could push it, like is the $20 more worth it for the i5-12400F?
*Or should I just stick to the Ryzen 5 5600X It has better motherboard and can be overclocked at this budget? (I'm not sure)

*The only upgrade I was thinking was going for a 3060ti or a 3070 and I plan to use it like in 3-4 years.

Hey there,

Both combo's are pretty decent and very close in terms of gaming. Both are also pretty decent in terms of pricing right now.

Then Intel system will get you one more CPU upgrade (Rapptor Lake), and so a small upgrade path.

The AMD 5600x system is at the end of the upgrade road, although you could add in a 5800x 3d which even holds up to Raptor Lake and the new AMD 7xxx. Not exactly a solid upgrade path, but still something.

Going with AM5 and Zen 4 is kinda expensive right now. But when prices come down, and if AMD stick to the new socket like they did with AM4 socket, then you could have lots of CPU upgrade options over a 4-5 year period. Intel just don't do that. They support 2 gens of CPU then ditch the whole lot for the next versions.

Reactions: jcdomingo

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Hey there,

Both combo's are pretty decent and very close in terms of gaming. Both are also pretty decent in terms of pricing right now.

Then Intel system will get you one more CPU upgrade (Rapptor Lake), and so a small upgrade path.

The AMD 5600x system is at the end of the upgrade road, although you could add in a 5800x 3d which even holds up to Raptor Lake and the new AMD 7xxx. Not exactly a solid upgrade path, but still something.

Going with AM5 and Zen 4 is kinda expensive right now. But when prices come down, and if AMD stick to the new socket like they did with AM4 socket, then you could have lots of CPU upgrade options over a 4-5 year period. Intel just don't do that. They support 2 gens of CPU then ditch the whole lot for the next versions.
Hello, I appreciate the reply. I'm not really looking to upgrade in the future and if ever I go with a 5800x3d isn't the motherboard b550m wouldn't be sufficient? TBH I only want to focus with the budget I have now. If I can afford a really big upgrade in the future, then why not? But as of now, it is what it is. I'm also kind of in a rush because I needed a desktop for my work since my old i5-8600K mobo crashed. I need to make a decision I won't regret so which one?

I'd prob be bias and go for the 5600x system. I have one, and I love my system. Does everything I want and more. B550 (as long as you choose the right one) are plenty for all 5xxx series. That particular b550 you chose is really good and has a 12+2 phase setup for handling the CPU's. The Ryzen ecosystem is well established and mature.

Not saying the Intel isn't, just my own to cents.

Reactions: jcdomingo