Which to choose??

G

Hi, i am wanting to buy a MSI GeForce GTX 275 Lightning graphics card and eventually run two of them in sli, i can find both the 896mb and 1792mb models for basically the same price, can someone please tell me the difference in performance and which i should go for, thanks.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Extra memory is always a bonus. In higher resolutions (we're talking 2560x1600), the extra memory will come in handy. If you're sticking around 1680x1050, the difference would be hardly noticeable, if at all. I think the 1792mb model might run higher factory OC clocks, so picking up that model would be better as long as the prices are pretty much the same.

You won't notice much of an improvement with the 1792MB card unless you are running really high resolutions. IF you plan to OC, just remember that extra memory sucks more juice and uses power, so it might knock a max OC down a little. The 768MB card is plenty. It's kinda your call, but you won't really notice any difference.

I have several GTX260 cards. I have a 640/2300 with 896 memory and I have the Lightning with 1792 memory.( runs at 675/2200 ) In Crysis the 1792 memory comes in pretty handy. I can set the AA at 8x and get no stumbles/jitters. With the 896 card you cant turn it on and still get jitters here and there. . FarCr2 also takes advantage of the extra memory. This is at 1680x1050. Don't let these guys talk you out of something that will give you great benefit.

G

Hi, thanks for all your opinions, i now know more about why to choose certain models.