Which TV for my gaming rig/ next gen console

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
So I have been looking at getting a new tv I had a Samsung 40" that I absolutely loved. But I moved and left it with my father. I have heard horror stories of shipping tvs. I was looking at another samsung at Bestbuy, $600 3D LED/LCD 46" 1080p with a 120hz refresh rate. My rig is an i7-2600 with a 2gb vanilla gtx 680 and 16 gb of 1600 ram. So what I would like to do is have a tv with a high enough response rate to not slow me down on battlefield, but have the graphics look amazing. I will play any game in 3D if I can, TV and bluerays too. I am wondering will 3D and 120hz be too much for one 680 @ 1080p? And how do I go about picking out the best TV for a display for my rig. I understand What Hz are from a chemist point of view, but does that = lower response time? I have heard one wants 21ms what the human eye can see or less.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Solution
G
I'll make this easy for you hopefully. You can only achieve 120hz via Dual Link DVI connections, and because, those 120/240hz TVs lack this port, they cannot display over 60hz from your PC. You will not get above 60hz on a TV from your PC period.

As for FPS or gaming in general, if your PC can run your games at around 100-120fps, a 120hz monitor is your best choice. I've been gaming on 120hz monitors since they came out, so I've had a bunch of experience with them. If your PC can run that kind of high frame rate, you would be stupid not to get a HHz (high hertz) monitor.

It makes gaming much more enjoyable, and you do get somewhat of an advantage. Shoot me a message if you have any questions.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
TV gaming is a little different and there aren't very many low response time tvs out there for reasonable prices. It just takes research on a tv to tv basis in your price range.

Current gen consoles target 30 FPS @ 720p, next gen is looking like 30FPS @ 1080p, with some titles branching out to 60FPS @ 1080p.

So a 120Hz tv or greater is really only going to effect your movies and potential 3D.

A single GTX680 is not going to be able to provide 120FPS @ 1080, so if you plan on PC gaming in 3D you will need more oomph.

You might search for the best 60hz 1080p panel you can find with the lowest response time you can find and run your system with vertical sync on. Probably acheive the smoothest result that way.

Televisions do not have true 120hz, it's called frame interpolation, adding extra frames to give a soap opera like effect. Televisions only accept 60hz input.

Like others have said too, a TV is horrible for PC gaming basically, some televisions have game modes which make it fine though. It's literally unbearable to game on a TV that has all those processing effects and stuff unless you switch to game mode.

The best option is an IPS monitor for all around gaming with a high resolution. You'd only really want 120hz/144hz for shooters.

^a 680 should do decently with a 120Hz, 1080p monitor. I have a 670 on a 680 PCB, and there are very few games I have to turn down the graphics on to hit over 100fps consistently on my 120Hz monitor.

That being said, you also have to bear in mind that a whole bunch of "120Hz" TVs lie, and are just 60hz with interpolation.

That's one issue too, you're unlikely to get near 120FPS on the latest games unless you turn down the settings, personally I'd rather get 60hz high-res monitor than an ugly TN panel unless I am play a shooter competitively.

Monitors I would recommend:

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/PB278Q

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/PB298Q/

G

I'll make this easy for you hopefully. You can only achieve 120hz via Dual Link DVI connections, and because, those 120/240hz TVs lack this port, they cannot display over 60hz from your PC. You will not get above 60hz on a TV from your PC period.

As for FPS or gaming in general, if your PC can run your games at around 100-120fps, a 120hz monitor is your best choice. I've been gaming on 120hz monitors since they came out, so I've had a bunch of experience with them. If your PC can run that kind of high frame rate, you would be stupid not to get a HHz (high hertz) monitor.

It makes gaming much more enjoyable, and you do get somewhat of an advantage. Shoot me a message if you have any questions.

Solution

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
So I am in college, And I cant really afford a different TV and highres monitor. Are there any large 40" monitors or tvs you guys would recommend for gaming. I used gaming mode on my 60hz samsung tv before with no problems that I saw, well... sometimes screen tearing but very very little. I have seen more screen tearing on cheaper tvs, looks like crapola. I really appreciate all the responses, that is why I love toms good articles and excellent community supported by knowledgeable and helpful people. :D

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Looks like I know what to look for now. :) Should I get another 680 for SLI or sell it and upgrade? My 680 is only 2gb, is my only concern. My antec 1000w power supply can handle dual or more anythings I suppose. But then again I only have pci-e 2.0 so 2 graphic cards will only run at 8x correct? Will 2gb of vram with dual 680s running at 8x be a limiting factor, I would love to game on this for the next 5 years until I am done with college have my own practice and then build a decent gaming computer while I save 50,000 + for a super gaming rig.... Sorry off on a tangent my adderall is wearing off back to studying! 4 hours down two more to go!

Upgrade to an 800 series card next year if you want(a single 680 will handle most games right now on high at 1080P fine), 700 series is basically a re-branded 600 series.

The processor will be good for the next 3-4 years easily.

What motherboard do you have?

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
An Asus mobo I wanna say P8P67 deluxe. It has dual sli capability, bluetooth and usb 3.0 so I am not too worried about it. I really like ASUS, I have an asus laptop with an i7-3610QM & a 650m. I only paid 700 for it I think. And its a great computer. Will my i7-2600 bottleneck an 800 series GPU?