Which type of DDR3 do i buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbhizzle

Honorable
May 19, 2012
i am about to build a pc for my self and im kinda new. im using a ASUS P8Z77-V LK and Intel i5 2500k sandybridge
the Intel page says that i can use DDR3-1066/1333 but what does that exactly mean? im not sure what my options are in terms of buying ram. can someone help me with this basic question. sorry if this is really easy stuff, this is my first build ever

Solution
I recommend CORSAIR Vengeance 99% of the time, quality RAM and low profile with XMP profile. And if u will get an aftermarket CPU cooler, low profile is the worry free remedy with perfect fit with any large cooler.
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233196
Vengeance Low Profile heat spreaders have a reduced height of 1.03" (26.25mm). They're designed for high-performance systems with extra-large CPU coolers, small form factor system builds, or any other space-constrained application where standard Vengeance memory might not fit.
20-233-186-TS

kivblue

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Your CPU will officially support up to 1333 DDR3 RAM, that's basically what it means but many people ignore the guidelines and get 1600 RAM, which is officially supported if you have Ivy Bridge CPU. So basically those who are stuck with Sandy Bridge go get 1600 RAM to not feel inferior.

first off the speed of the ram today it not what you need to look at first. you need to first look at the mb vendor qal list and then at ram vendor web page to see that your ram been tested to work in the mb you want to buy. memory today has a jteg and inside if it a good brand has a few speed settings that the mb will read and use. the 1600 and faster speed in ram are called xmp profile. you want to look at the vendors warranty and how tall the heat spreaders are if your going to use an after market heat sink..dimms like gskills are tall and wont fit under many heat sinks. you also want to look at reviews and testing that people have done on ram and mb. there are always batches of ram or mb to stay away from due to there high doa rate.
the 1800 and faster ram is mostly for over clockers and your going to pay more for that ram. for a normal build 8g of ram is going to be overkill but at the low price of ram it keep you from having to open the case and toss in another stick.

I recommend CORSAIR Vengeance 99% of the time, quality RAM and low profile with XMP profile. And if u will get an aftermarket CPU cooler, low profile is the worry free remedy with perfect fit with any large cooler.
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233196
Vengeance Low Profile heat spreaders have a reduced height of 1.03" (26.25mm). They're designed for high-performance systems with extra-large CPU coolers, small form factor system builds, or any other space-constrained application where standard Vengeance memory might not fit.
20-233-186-TS

Solution

tbhizzle

Honorable
May 19, 2012

will this low profile ram overheat abnormally or is it pretty much fine if i have decent airflow through out the case?

Its no problem anymore, the RAM overheating is non existent, unless u are pushing the limits of overclocking.

And this RAM has the heats spreaders too.

Today's heats spreaders are more for the looks.

Even in poorly ventilated case, they don't overheat anymore, especially the DDR3's.

Status
Not open for further replies.