[SOLVED] Which type of SSD?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Some time this summer, after the release of Zen2, I plan on building a system primarily for Adobe Lightroom and some occasional gaming. The plan for CPU is either the Ryzen 3700X or Intel 9700K...which ever provides the best performance.

In either case I will be using a 500GB NVMe drive for W10 and Applications.

The question is for data....I currently am using a WD 1TB Black HDD. What would you suggest for replacing that drive? An SSD or NVMe drive?

Thanks.

Oh, Depending upon the suggestion, I may purchase one and replace my data drive sooner.

Solution
The prices of all SSDs, SATA or NVMe, has been dropping lately. No idea if the price difference between the two will change significantly, but if you're not planning on building for a little while anyway yes I'd say you might as well wait and see how prices compare in the future.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Do you find that saving/loading files takes up a fair bit of your time when working with Lightroom currently? Do you work very high-res images, and frequently loading/saving them?

If so, the extra speed of an NVMe drive might be worth it. Otherwise the real-world differences between SATA and NVMe drives are usually small.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies; LR takes a fair amount of time to load and exit, as I believe I am currently CPU harnessed (i7-3770)...which is why the upgrade. The typical file size is between 25 and 30MB and I currently have over 24000 images.

The term 'frequently' you use is I suppose subjective.....but by the same token I don't feel overly burdened by waiting a little. Is the price difference between, say a 2TB 2.5" SSD and a NVMe stable for a while or will the NVMe's be dropping as they become more mainstream?

If that answer is yes, I should most probably wait until I have the rest of the system together...no?

Am I missing anything in my thinking?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The prices of all SSDs, SATA or NVMe, has been dropping lately. No idea if the price difference between the two will change significantly, but if you're not planning on building for a little while anyway yes I'd say you might as well wait and see how prices compare in the future.

Solution