Which type RAM for AMD K6 450 ?

postman31

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Hello

I`m going to install memory on friends PC.

I don`t have much info about his computer by now. (don`t have his PC, here with me, but going to install some RAM on his computer tomorrow!).

He has a AMD K6 1-2, 450 Mhz

We are going to install 128MB ram or 256MB (the prices on RAM will decide for us, in Denmark that is!).

Since we do not have the manual for the Motherboard, i can`t tell which ram he has, but my best guess it, it is proberly a PC100 SDRAM DIMM 72 PIN standard type of ram (i know he has at least 128MB RAM).

I have been told that, that is if the motherboard support it, i can install both PC100 SDRAM, as well as PC133 SDRAM , of a size of 256MB RAM.

Allso someone told me to use the Sisoft Sandra 2003 program, that wil give me every detail i need, to determine the RAM, that will be installed (but i don`t think Sisoft Sandra 2003, will tell us, what type of memory, the motherboard allso will support ?).

I don`t hope that my freind`s motherboard, can only support the old RAM type, like EDO ram, because by now, the EDO ram, is extremely hard to get hands on, not to mention that it wil be very expensive, the PC66 memory is a bad choice allso, that is diffcult to get hands on, expensive too!

Was`nt there something about those nanosecond, you have to know about, or pay atention to, now a days, the Ram`s allways follow a standard ?, so i properly don`t need to know anything about nanoseconds,care about it, when we are talking about PC100 SDRAM, PC133 SDRAM ?.

Henrik

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, all desktop PC66/PC100/PC133 is 168-pin. 72-pin was SIMM memory, all SDRAM is DIMM memory. Some boards supported both. If you see 72-pin SIMM slots, you can upgrade with EDO. If you're lucky enough to find DIMM slots, I would recommend 16-chip double sided 256MB PC133, as that's the kind that's almost garunteed to work and cheaper now than PC-100. If he opts for 128MB, I recommend either 16-chip double sided or 8-chip single sided SDRAM.

All K6-450's were K6-2, K6-III and K6-2+, so it's likely a K6-2.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
yeah what crash said! I reccomend double sidded ram always I have always had better luck overclocking those.

smurf A- I saw you leave with smurfette
smurf B- oh man as soon as we got out of the bar she started smurfing me
smurf A- shut the smurf up
smurf A- right in the smurfing pariking lot?

TRENDING THREADS