Question Which ultrawide should I go with?

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
So, right now I have the Asus PG348Q ultrawide 3440x1440 at 100Hz but I'm thinking about upgrading to

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienwa...d=1557420950&s=gateway&sr=8-6#customerReviews

Can anyone tell me which seems better. The Alienware is newer and has faster response, higher Hz. I'm not finished with my research on it yet but I guess this is part of it. So,

Asus PG348Q

or

Dell Alienware 1900R 34.1"

or

Samsung Electronics LC49HG90DMNXZA CHG90 Series Curved 49-Inch Gaming Monitor

Thanks for info!

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, I suppose I should start by asking why you want to upgrade to the Dell monitor? What are you looking to get from it that the Asus doesn't give you?

As to the CHG90, that's a different beast entirely. 32:9 aspect ratio - so, 3840x1080. You'll have less vertical resolution than you do now. It was something I was considering, but wasn't available yet when I purchased my new monitor. I considered it for home, as when I work from home, I wanted to have the same horizontal resolution availability as the dual 1920x1080 setup I have in the office. Ultimately, I went with 3840x1600, though, in hindsight, I very likely could've lived with 400 fewer horizontal pixels by using a 3440x1440 monitor.

That said, a few games have some issues with the 21:9 aspect ratio of ultrawide. Some more MIGHT have an issue with 32:9, but don't hold me to that.

I guess it bears asking: what's your goal here?

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
I appreciate the response! I don't specifically have a goal in mind just trying to squeeze out as much performance and upgrade details as I can. The Alienware and Samsung are both 2019 displays and the Asus PG348Q is a 2017(?) I think so there is some measure of upgrade to be had. Not to mention, if I upgrade then a good friend of mine will inherit the old screen, which still totally works perfectly. For me it's just about keeping up as best I can with the newest of the new.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hm, honestly, if it's predominantly gaming (ie: don't need to have that wacky 3840-wide resolution for work/productivity tasks), then it seems to me that at a glimpse, going from the Asus to the Dell only gives bumps you up from 100Hz to 120Hz.

Overall, the response times are almost meaningless, and, once you're at that range of refresh, the human eye can't really tell. I don't know what GPU you have, so I don't know if you're even getting 100fps in everything you play currently, much less manage 120fps.

I'd say, stick with what you have. The only reason to buy the Dell is if you really want to give your friend the Asus.