[SOLVED] Which UPS should I buy?

swapnil_7

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2015
Hi Folks,

I can't decide on which UPS I should go for. Here are my requirements:

750 W (PC) + 130 W (TV) = 880W
I'm okay with the UPS running for 5 minutes or even less. I wish to save my system from power surge, that's it.

Solution
Measure or calculate the total power being used by your system is step 1.
You can measure with a device like a Kill-a-watt meter.
For your PC there are several website to help you calculated your power consumption based on the hardware in your PC.
Add up all the powered used for the things you wish to be on battery backup.

Then you take that number (PC& TV & all other equipment you will attach to the UPS) and multiply by 1.2 and go UPS shopping for something with greater number in the VA spec.

Example: You calculate 440w total PC power + 188w TV = 628w
628*1.2=753.6 Now this fictitious user would go shopping for an 800VA (or larger) UPS.

When you find one you are interested in, you check the UPS's RUNTIME charts to see how long it...

swapnil_7

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2015
750W pc?
Measured at the wall or is this the size of the PSU?

Well if you calculated that your max power consumption was 750w then you probably can use: https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/pfc-sinewave/or1500pfclcd/

if you measured it at the wall then this one will give you almost 5 mintues:
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/tools/runtimes/?model=CP1500PFCLCD
It's the PSU size and TV consumption wattage.I checked CP1500PFCLCD it is too pricey. I found it on amazon.in for 50k INR which is 657$.

I'm based in India and am looking for cheap options. My only usage of the UPS would be the save my PC and TV for powre surge.

Due to a recent powr surge I lost my monitor, router and Ethernet adapter 😐

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
Measure or calculate the total power being used by your system is step 1.
You can measure with a device like a Kill-a-watt meter.
For your PC there are several website to help you calculated your power consumption based on the hardware in your PC.
Add up all the powered used for the things you wish to be on battery backup.

Then you take that number (PC& TV & all other equipment you will attach to the UPS) and multiply by 1.2 and go UPS shopping for something with greater number in the VA spec.

Example: You calculate 440w total PC power + 188w TV = 628w
628*1.2=753.6 Now this fictitious user would go shopping for an 800VA (or larger) UPS.

When you find one you are interested in, you check the UPS's RUNTIME charts to see how long it will be able to maintain the load (753.6)

I have a feeling you are going to be putting on your networking equipment as well.. You might want to get a smaller UPS just for those.

Lastly, keep in mind that batteries age and you will need to replace them or the whole unit periodically.

Solution