[SOLVED] Which variant of RTX 3080 should I buy?

ChrisRedfiedl

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hello everybody,

I plan to buy RTX 3080 tomorrow and I'm not sure which version is the best.
I can choose between these models:
EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Gaming
EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Black Gaming

I read that Black version have no backplate,and it's almost as same as Reference GPUs,and I heard it has lower frequency's then most Non Reference GPUs.
I would like to know is that really the truth because it costs around 65-70 euros less than regular XC3 Gaming.

XC3 Gaming (non black) have modest OC capability and I think it has small factory boost but it's also 65-70 euros more expensive.

I would like to know which one should I get and which one will get better FPS in gaming and also,are those good variation or lower-end?

Solution
well, if you need it tomorrow, and you are lucky to find one, you have to go with whatever you get. The top tier models most likely will not sell for another few days or even weeks (like your ASUS STRIX or MSI Trio GAMING X). So, if you just need a RTX3080 as soon as possible, buy whatever you can find. If you want to wait a little it would be worth to wait for custom card reviews to learn more about differences.

What you usually gain from higher prices top tier custom cards is around 3 to 5% more performance due to boost clocks, higher power limits, better cooling, maybe better chip binning (some board partners bin the chips and use the better ones in their top models, but there is no guarantee).

I have my eye on the MSI Trio Gaming...
Come now, I know you know better than that - you saw those reviews...

No worries, I saw the sarcasm.

(y)

I hear ya Phaaze88.

The 3080 is an impressive gpu from these initial reviews. It's price and performance are an improvement for sure but for higher resolutions.

Then you see how bad even the 10900k bottle necked it at 1080p yet people still want it for this resolution. Just plain silly. I wonder what the 3080 is actually capable of at 1080p as it would appear no currently available cpu can utilize it to it's potential. Then you see this 240Hz monitor craze to boot and people think it's what they need.

My 2070 Super is almost a year old. I play at 1440p and it does a great job. Nvidia's 3000 series gpu's are at a much better price point for the consumer and hopefully AMD's 6000 series continues this trend.

I'm patient.

With time it will be interesting to see how the new gpu's scale across resolutions with different cpu's, especially older variants. I though Intel would see a big FPS advantage over AMD at lower resolutions and it was interesting to see how much this gpu exposed the cpu's at 1080p.

I'm sitting back and waiting to see how this all plays out. Going to be a great year for gpu's.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
well, if you need it tomorrow, and you are lucky to find one, you have to go with whatever you get. The top tier models most likely will not sell for another few days or even weeks (like your ASUS STRIX or MSI Trio GAMING X). So, if you just need a RTX3080 as soon as possible, buy whatever you can find. If you want to wait a little it would be worth to wait for custom card reviews to learn more about differences.

What you usually gain from higher prices top tier custom cards is around 3 to 5% more performance due to boost clocks, higher power limits, better cooling, maybe better chip binning (some board partners bin the chips and use the better ones in their top models, but there is no guarantee).

I have my eye on the MSI Trio Gaming X. But I don't need it before Cyperpunk hits the shelf. So, I can wait a little if needed....

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS