which version of linux is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laptop-

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
I just was looking into free os and found linux but there's so many variations so I was wondering which one was the best?

Solution
As has been said, there isn't really a best, just what you like the most. I've found Linux Mint to work really well as a beginner Linux OS for dipping my toes in the big Linux pool. I even managed to convince a friend recently who isn't great with computers to try it out and so far she seems to like it.

The few problems I've had with Mint were resolved fairly easily with some googling and very light tinkering (pretty much just copying and pasting a fix into a notepad file). So far, it's been going great.

While I didn't mind Ubuntu too much, and it definitely has a nice fancy/polished look about it, I found it wasn't for me. Like many others, I wasn't a fan of the desktop environment, and it seemed a bit bulkier and possibly (although...

ebpollock

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
I would go with Ubuntu for desktop hardware less than 4 years old, If its older than that you might want Lubutntu or Xubutnu as they are less demanding on gpu and ram. I personally run the Ubuntu flavors because, IMO, the online documentation/help is the most helpful.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
As has been said, there isn't really a best, just what you like the most. I've found Linux Mint to work really well as a beginner Linux OS for dipping my toes in the big Linux pool. I even managed to convince a friend recently who isn't great with computers to try it out and so far she seems to like it.

The few problems I've had with Mint were resolved fairly easily with some googling and very light tinkering (pretty much just copying and pasting a fix into a notepad file). So far, it's been going great.

While I didn't mind Ubuntu too much, and it definitely has a nice fancy/polished look about it, I found it wasn't for me. Like many others, I wasn't a fan of the desktop environment, and it seemed a bit bulkier and possibly (although I didn't run any real tests so it could have just been my imagination), slightly slower than Mint on the laptop I was trying it on
If you do choose Mint, and it asks you what type (desktop environment you want) out of Cinammon, KDE, MATE, and Xfce, I would recommend MATE right now. Initially I had Cinammon, and while I really liked the layout and feel of it, it was a big resource hog that would randomly spike up usage for no noticeable reason. Mate looks, to me, somewhat similar with a somewhat similar layout, but with no random resource hogging.

Depending on your hardware, as in if you are using a relatively low powered computer/laptop, Lubuntu could be an option. It isn't as full featured, but it also doesn't use many resources and runs surprisingly well on older/lower-powered hardware

Solution
G

i just got started with linux and debian 7.7 wheezy i like alot and seems to run well on an older dell that i have. i am aslo using ubuntu 14.04 lts and yeah it does use alot of resoures but i do like it. i also have linux mint 17.1 and it is ok. don't know which one i like the best they all do what there supposed to and all seem to work. a hard choose.

poorguy

tristatebusinesssupply

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

I love Linux Mint also Like Zorin but I use Mint and the Mint 17.1 is assume !!!!!!!!!!!

G

yeah i like linux it is a good alternative for me. i still use windows 7 but just don't like the way that windows 8 is. i guess if i had a copy of it i might learn to like it but for now the linux distros really work well for my computer needs. i use 3 different distros as mentioned above and i guess ubuntu and debian are my top choices. i have also installed zorin os 9 core on the wifes laptop a she seems to like it and has no problem navigating through it. there is still alot i need to learn about installing the sofware and using the iptables but that will come as i use it more. i like the network install over the dvd install just for the fact it only installs what i need and it is already updated. glad i decided to try linux, don't have any complaints at all. windows is still good but i think i will stick with linux. have a good day.

poorguy

Status
Not open for further replies.