which vhs to dvd gizmo?

Personally I have had very good experiences with ADS products and have seen
many problems with the Pinnacle products.

Go with the Pyro, it will be happy to work with any software, there is
plenty of good stuff around.

"bam Bino" <ban@LKDEK.COM> wrote in message
: Hi.
: Given that i have XP, firewire, a VCR and 30 VHS tapes,
:
: Which would be the better external gizmo / software package:
:
: Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV Version 9 Video Editor $250
:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310886&pfp=BROWSE
:
: or
:
: Pyro A / V Link Video Capture $199
:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310581&pfp=BROWSE
:
: Thank you
:
:

'DVD EZ maker' is an external device which connects to the USB2 port and the
audio card input.It includes software to edit the captured VHS video and
does the DVD burning. It costs only ~ $50:

http://www.aver.com/products/dvm_AVerDVD_ezMaker_usb.shtml

Fred

delete 'delete' for a direct reply

"Pete D" <dont.use@email.to.reply> wrote in message
> Personally I have had very good experiences with ADS products and have
seen
> many problems with the Pinnacle products.
>
> Go with the Pyro, it will be happy to work with any software, there is
> plenty of good stuff around.
>
> "bam Bino" <ban@LKDEK.COM> wrote in message
> : Hi.
> : Given that i have XP, firewire, a VCR and 30 VHS tapes,
> :
> : Which would be the better external gizmo / software package:
> :
> : Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV Version 9 Video Editor $250
> :

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310886&pfp=BROWSE
> :
> : or
> :
> : Pyro A / V Link Video Capture $199
> :

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310581&pfp=BROWSE
> :
> : Thank you
> :
> :

We should also keep in mind that if you just want to do a straight transfer
a DVD standalone recorder would be a good choice for many people, it is also
a lot quicker and the quality is quite good.

"Ingeborg Mann" <imanndelete@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
: 'DVD EZ maker' is an external device which connects to the USB2 port and
the
: audio card input.It includes software to edit the captured VHS video and
: does the DVD burning. It costs only ~ $50:
:
: http://www.aver.com/products/dvm_AVerDVD_ezMaker_usb.shtml
:
: Fred
:
: delete 'delete' for a direct reply
:
: "Pete D" <dont.use@email.to.reply> wrote in message
: news:y0Kkc.6733$TT.1675@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
: > Personally I have had very good experiences with ADS products and have
: seen
: > many problems with the Pinnacle products.
: >
: > Go with the Pyro, it will be happy to work with any software, there is
: > plenty of good stuff around.
: >
: > "bam Bino" <ban@LKDEK.COM> wrote in message
: > news:_KSdnfZ5Es7BXg_dRVn-sA@comcast.com...
: > : Hi.
: > : Given that i have XP, firewire, a VCR and 30 VHS tapes,
: > :
[...]

I had the Pyro A/V Link and had to return it. It dropped frames like crazy.
A 60min capture from an analog video tape would literally drop thousands of
frames. Replaced it with a Canopus ADVC100 and haven't dropped a single
frame. To learn more about the A/V Link's problems go to the ADS Pyro forum
on Creative Cow: http://www.creativecow.net/index.php?forumid=22 . Many
unhappy users.

The Canopus product is about $100 more (if you shop around) and works great.

As for the software to go straight from tape to DVD, I've tried a couple but
found the quality to be wanting. Guess they must sacrafice quality in order
to do it in real time. Others might have some advice in this area.

RonM

> We should also keep in mind that if you just want to do a straight
transfer
> a DVD standalone recorder would be a good choice for many people, it is
also
> a lot quicker and the quality is quite good.
>
> "Ingeborg Mann" <imanndelete@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> : 'DVD EZ maker' is an external device which connects to the USB2 port and
> the
> : audio card input.It includes software to edit the captured VHS video and
> : does the DVD burning. It costs only ~ $50:
> :
> : http://www.aver.com/products/dvm_AVerDVD_ezMaker_usb.shtml
> :
> : Fred
> :
> : delete 'delete' for a direct reply
> :
> : "Pete D" <dont.use@email.to.reply> wrote in message
> : news:y0Kkc.6733$TT.1675@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> : > Personally I have had very good experiences with ADS products and have
> : seen
> : > many problems with the Pinnacle products.
> : >
> : > Go with the Pyro, it will be happy to work with any software, there is
> : > plenty of good stuff around.
> : >
> : > "bam Bino" <ban@LKDEK.COM> wrote in message
> : > news:_KSdnfZ5Es7BXg_dRVn-sA@comcast.com...
> : > : Hi.
> : > : Given that i have XP, firewire, a VCR and 30 VHS tapes,
> : > :
> : > : Which would be the better external gizmo / software package:
> : > :
> : > : Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV Version 9 Video Editor $250
> : > :
> : >
> :

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310886&pfp=BROWSE
> : > :
> : > : or
> : > :
> : > : Pyro A / V Link Video Capture $199
> : > :
> : >
> :

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310581&pfp=BROWSE