Which Video Card for a new Ultrawide (3440x1440) gaming setup

gleek48

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I am building a new Ryzen 7 2700x gaming/VR build and will mainly play First Person Shooter games (PUBG, COD, BF, etc.) and have a question about which video card to get. I want to try an Ultrawide monitor which will have a resolution of 3440x1440. Does this resolution need almost the GPU computing power of 4K or is it more akin to 1440?

If 4k, I was thinking about splurging and getting the new RTX 2080 TI. If closer to 1440, would a GTX 1080 TI be sufficient to push around 100 fps?

Thanks!

Solution
Hello, I assume that you are looking to game at full resolution with 60+ fps if this is the case, then you're gonna need some serious GPU power to run most games.
Right now I would recommend something along the lines of a GTX 1080 or 1080ti. The GTX 1070ti might also be enough in some games, but since most of the games that you mentioned in your post are very GPU heavy, you're definitely not gonna be able to run them at high settings with a constant 60+ fps.

So to sum it all up:
GTX 1080ti:
Should run most games at full resolution with high-ultra settings at 60+fps

GTX 1080
Should get the job done in most games, but you might find it lacking in some GPU-intensive scenarios.

GTX 1070ti
Should be able to run most games at full...

wallpleases

Honorable
Sep 21, 2018
Hello, I assume that you are looking to game at full resolution with 60+ fps if this is the case, then you're gonna need some serious GPU power to run most games.
Right now I would recommend something along the lines of a GTX 1080 or 1080ti. The GTX 1070ti might also be enough in some games, but since most of the games that you mentioned in your post are very GPU heavy, you're definitely not gonna be able to run them at high settings with a constant 60+ fps.

So to sum it all up:
GTX 1080ti:
Should run most games at full resolution with high-ultra settings at 60+fps

GTX 1080
Should get the job done in most games, but you might find it lacking in some GPU-intensive scenarios.

GTX 1070ti
Should be able to run most games at full resolution with medium settings, with occasional frame-drops into the 50's or 40's.

With all that said, I wouldn't buy a GPU right now, with the new RTX cards coming out and the Pascal prices fluctuating. I would wait a few months to see where the prices settle, and then make a decision.

Hope this helps
-Wallpleases

Solution