Which video card should I choose from (HP desktop)

jathuerk

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hi, I am looking to buy a new computer. Want a machine I can game with but don't want to break the bank. I want a pre-built computer.

Went to HP looked like they have decent systems at competitive prices, however I don't know where I need to be with the Video card.

Here are my options

512MB NVIDIA GeForce G210 [DVI, HDMI, VGA] Included in price
1GB ATI Radeon HD 4650 [DVI, HDMI, VGA] +$20.00
1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 [DVI, HDMI, VGA] +$60.00
1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters] +$160.00
1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters] +$180.00

Is there a clear winner here in performance for value? Any of these real stinkers I would regret getting? What would you choose?

I'd like to use this machine to play new games coming out at xmas, not necessarily on max settings

danz1156

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
The ATI 4850 would be the one worth getting up there if you want it to be preinstalled. But it's overpriced if you get it from hp. You can get a 4870 at $150 or even less from newegg if you don't mind installing it yourself.

beardcombover

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Hey, Ii don't know if I'm late on this but I got an hp elite and Ii know factually that if you buy the gt 220 or below, you will have a 350 w psu, which will basically limit an upgrade at any point unless you buy a more powerful psu. The radeon 4850 triples the gt 220 in benchmarks, and you will get a hidden upgrade of a 460w psu for free. get the radeon, it is amazing. BTW i bought the 220 in mine and upgraded to a 4850 for the total cost of 220 dollars, but it sort of worked out as I was able to use the gt 220 for an older pc.

The GTS250 or the 4850 are probably what you would want as a minimum for today's better games. Although why spend $180 for a 4850 if you can get a 4890 for $10 more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150438

Would help to know the rest of your system specs -- in particular the CPU. If it's, say, a low-end Core 2 chip, the 4850 may be as good as you can get. But if it's a powerful quad core or an i5/i7, any of the cards they offer are going to lag behind your CPU, and you're better off getting a video card on your own.

GTS 250 or ATI 4850 are the only options there for actual gaming purposes. The other cards to be quite frank, won't play games well.

However, if you're comfortable doing so (and possibly voiding your HP warranty) you could purchase a better video card for less money and install it yourself. Problem is, HP and others usually put a "seal" on their cases, so if you open it and install anything they can try to void the warranty if you have hardware problems.

The ATI 5770 comes to mind.

jathuerk

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Too bad it took 5 months for folks to stumble accross this one.

I went with the cheapest option (G210) expecting to upgrade later when I knew more of what I needed/wanted. Honestly haven't had any problems yet but all I play on here is torchlight and Half life 1, but that's just so far.

I saw the gizmodo article about best video cards at each price range and am now ready to upgrade but it looks like I need a new PSU? (power supply unit right?)

A few questions about that.

1. are they easy to swap out? For reference I would consider changing video cards, net cards, memory sticks etc as "Easy"
2. How can I tell what I actually have for my PSU
3. How do I know what I will need with a new video card?
4. Are there compatibility issues with the mother board or something I should worry about buying a new PSU?

Thanks in advance for your help

beardcombover

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I was just in the market and Best buy, right now, has a good sale on its 550 watt BFG models, which will upgrade you to the 4850 or gts 250s and will satisfy you for when its time to pop in an i7 on that beast (or a serious gaming card). I'm guessing you got the 350 w factory cookie cutter piece hp gives. The 350w WILL, however support an eco 9800 gt, made by bfg which has a 350 w requirement. It will game for you fairly well, but don't expect to run full hd antialiasing, etc without any hiccups, but if the game is fit for an xbox, you'll run it like a champ. I must say, the hd4850 is a rockstar for the money.

Read this guys! IT is the OP pointing to the age of the thread everything before this post can be disregarded.