[SOLVED] Which way on smart tv: wifi extender with internal wifi module or external wifi receiver for internet

mstratil

Honorable
Dec 23, 2016
I have a Sony KDL 40R510C smart tv. It has an internal wifi module, but it also allows one to connect an external wifi receiver.

The problem is that the TV is very slow and unreliable in responding to commands from the remote (battery is ok).

So I am wonder how I can strengthen the wifi signal. Would it be better to get an extender? Or to get a wifi receiver that is external to the TV?

Note: I use "receiver" as a generic term. I seem to remember that one can buy a device that receives a wifi signal from the router and then transmits it by wire to the terminal device. That is what I am referring to. My premise is that the internal module may not be very powerful and that a dedicated external wifi receiving device might be better. Please correct me if I am wrong on this premise.

Solution
Check first that it uses IR type of remote. A big clue that it is IR is if when you sit in front of the tv if you put the remote under say a towel it does not work but does if it is not covered. The ones that use radio frequencies work fine even covered. They generally have much better range but unfortunately that is not something you can change the tv either has the feature or it does not when you buy it.

They do make IR converters that in effect convert the IR signal to network send it over the network and it gets converted back to IR in front of the TV. They sell them that both work on wifi or ethernet. They are kinda expensive I thought They do make IR extenders that do not talk to your actual network they...
If it is a problem with using a remote control. That has nothing to do with WiFi. Unless the control is something like an Android app.

It could be a line of sight issue. It appears to use an infrared remote. Is anything obstructing the IR receiver on the TV. Usually it is somewhere along the bottom. Looking at pictures of the TV it is to the right of the Sony logo. Just a little circular dot.

Some devices just have horrible IR receivers or remotes which only work in a narrow field.

Check first that it uses IR type of remote. A big clue that it is IR is if when you sit in front of the tv if you put the remote under say a towel it does not work but does if it is not covered. The ones that use radio frequencies work fine even covered. They generally have much better range but unfortunately that is not something you can change the tv either has the feature or it does not when you buy it.

They do make IR converters that in effect convert the IR signal to network send it over the network and it gets converted back to IR in front of the TV. They sell them that both work on wifi or ethernet. They are kinda expensive I thought They do make IR extenders that do not talk to your actual network they directly talk between the 2 units using some form of radio. These seem to be cheaper. I suspect because if you work at it the ones that run on the network you could actually use in a location far away over the internet. Not sure how you would see the tv, but maybe for some other type of IR device.

Solution