Which way should I place my Noctua NH-U12P?

FusoyaX

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I'm getting a Noctua NH-U12P CPU cooler with a second fan in a push pull config (if UPS ever finds my city) to go into my Cooler Master Cosmos S case and I was wondering if I should have the cooler pointing up (with air being pulled over the northbridge and out) or sideways (with air being pulled over the memory and out). The thing is I have 3 top exhaust fans and one top rear exhaust fan, so the overall case flow is up and a little to the back, will it matter which way I place my CPU cooler? Will from which way I pull the air matter?

Thanks if you can help.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007

i think it will effect the cooling.but i have kindly ask Lupi to find that out for me.because inside the pipes for the heatsink there are liquid inside which does the cooling.and how easy it is to get the heat over to the cooler end will also affected by the way that gravity pulls which is downward but heat rises up.

so im thinking does these 2 factors affect the cooling in anyway when they are place in different position.

FusoyaX

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008

Worded a bit awkwardly but that's something I didn't think about. Inside the heatpipes is a liquid which vaporizes and rises when it's heated then once cooled in the fins falls back down to repeat. If I put the coolers exhaust to the back of the case the heatpipes would be vertical and the liquid would naturally sink to the lower pipes (this would be easier with a diagram) but if the exhaust was pointed up the heatpipes would be oriented horizontally and so the liquid would more evenly lay across the bottom of the cooler... maybe. I'm no engineer or physicist, hopefully this Lupi character is someone of greater knowledge than us both.

Thanks everyone for your input, I was thinking thermodynamically, and you've got me thinking about gravity and liquid.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
sorry when i post i was half a sleep.this Lupi character you called is Lupiron in this forum that gone hyper after he got his VID 1.2000V Q6600 G0.he is doing some testing atm so we will have to wait.but i will leave him a PM sometime.