Which way to plug fans in?

Oct 14, 2018
Hi. I have a ga-ab350n motherboard, which has one CPU fan slot and one system fan slot. The problem is I have 5 fans and an aio water cooler. The way I currently have it setup is I have a powered fan hub going to the CPU fan slot, and all five fans and the water pump connected to that. Is there a better way to do this? I feel like my fans should be running slower and quieter but I'm not sure how to check what speed they are at etc. The fans are phobya nb eloop bionics. I have another fan hub I can make use of but it's not powered. Suggestions? Thanks!

Solution
Ok, so your cooler is not configured the way I was "hoping" it might be, like Corsair AIO coolers are that connect the pump to the PWM header but have it's own connections for the radiator fans which can be configured independently through the Link software so that they will run at variable speed even if the PWM header the pump is connected to is configured for full time 100% speed.

I didn't figure it was anyhow, but you never know.

So, you are right in one regard. The Silverstone hub won't speed control your 3 pin fans. I don't think the AIO hub will either.

There is still a way to do it, but it will require purchasing an additional controller and I'm not sure if you are willing to do that or not. Up to you. It can be done so that...
Your problem is a seriously underqualified board, with few options, for a configuration that really needs many more features especially fan headers.

Optimally, in order to try and take advantage of what you have now, without buying more expensive hardware, your fan hub should be connected to the 4 pin system fan header. All case fans should be connected to that.

Your radiator fans should be connected to the CPU_FAN header and since you don't have a pump or water cooling header, and since you don't want to split your CPU fan signal to the radiator fans and have them running at 100% all the time, it would be advisable to get a molex to 4pin adapter and power your water pump off that. Water pumps should be running at full speed, 100%, at all times.

Some AIO coolers have provisions for this, so knowing what your cooler model is would be especially helpful. Depending on your cooler's configuration, a different connection configuration might be necessary.

What are your FULL system specs including all model numbers?

Oct 14, 2018
As far as my water cooler goes, I have a deep cool captian gamerstorm ex. @darkbreeze, like I mentioned I have a molex powered fan hub so the pump should be getting full power through that. But will the radiator fans adjust speed with this? Like I said, I also have an unpowered fan hub, so I can plug the system fans into that. But if I plug everything into the powered fan hub, shouldnt everything be running by the temp of the CPU?? @norcalsc I'm using an enthoo evolv itx. Very small case with not the best airflow so I'm using a bunch of fans to keep it cool.

If the pump is connected to a three or four pin connector on the hub, and the fan header the hub is connected to is not configured to run at 100% at all times in the bios, then the pump is NOT running at 100% speed at all times like it should be.

You need one of these, to connect the power supply to the pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Phobya-Adapter-Cable-4-Pin-Sleeved/dp/B004X2XBMA

And then configure the rest of the system exactly as I have outlined in my first post.

Or, as I said, a different configuration might be possible but I need to know the EXACT model number of your cooler. There are like ten different iterations and sizes of captain gamerstorm AIO cooler.

Is is 120mm, 240mm, 280mm, ????? Model number?

Full system specs including model numbers?

Oct 14, 2018

Just wanted to let you know that my current setup is actually fine. My fans and pump are not PWM, so they will always run a the highest speed. The powered fan hub provides enough power to all of the fans and pump and like I said they will all run at 100% as they are not PWM.

Yeah, that's completely not true. Fan hubs that connect to the four pin PWM header but have three pin headers themselves are designed for variable voltage controls. Three pin motherboard headers are USUALLY also variable controlled voltage, except very old motherboards OR motherboards that have both CHA_FAN chassis fan headers and SYS_FAN system fan headers. In that case, the ones labeled CHA are usually variable and controlled by the bios settings through the motherboard and those labeled SYS are USUALLY full speed 100% all the time operation.

No fan hub I know of is designed to be 100% full speed 24/7 with no controls, otherwise, there would be ZERO point in them being connected to a PWM fan header and would ONLY connect directly to a four pin PSU molex connector.

But since you know more than me apparently, I'd bid you good day and good luck.

Oct 14, 2018

Couldn't I just set the fan speed to always 100% in the bios to have the port always run at 12v?

Oct 14, 2018

The radiator fans are not PWM either, they are same as the case fans. I will change the setting in the bios and update.

I'm not sure how many different ways I can say this.

It doesn't matter WHAT kind of fans they are. If they are connected to the headers on your fan hub, and your fan hub is connected to the 4 pin PWM header on your motherboard, then the speed signal is being converted from PWM to variable voltage by the hub. Speed will increase and decrease based on voltage increasing and decreasing, based on the PWM signal increasing or decreasing from the motherboard.

It DOES NOT MATTER IF THE FANS ARE PWM OR NOT. PWM fans are NOT the only kind of fans that can be controlled at different speeds.

What is the model number of your fan hub?

Oct 14, 2018

I have two fan hubs. One is the one that came with my Deepcool Captian Gamerstorm 240ex, which doesn't have a model number on it but can be found separately online. The other is the Silverstone CPF04. I called up Silverstone and they said that if the device connected is 3-pin, it will run at full speed and not be voltage controlled. Not sure about the captain.

Ok, so your cooler is not configured the way I was "hoping" it might be, like Corsair AIO coolers are that connect the pump to the PWM header but have it's own connections for the radiator fans which can be configured independently through the Link software so that they will run at variable speed even if the PWM header the pump is connected to is configured for full time 100% speed.

I didn't figure it was anyhow, but you never know.

So, you are right in one regard. The Silverstone hub won't speed control your 3 pin fans. I don't think the AIO hub will either.

There is still a way to do it, but it will require purchasing an additional controller and I'm not sure if you are willing to do that or not. Up to you. It can be done so that the pump will be on full speed at all times, which IS how it should be, and ALL of the fans will run at variable speed based on temperature requirements.

You'd be looking at about a 30-50 dollar investment for a controller that can connect to a PWM header AND offer speed control to three pin hubs. The main one that comes to mind is the NZXT Grid+ v2 and v3.

Or, if the fans running full speed don't bother you, then you can simply go into the bios and configure the header that the hub is connected to, that the pump is connected to, to be full speed at all times. Mostly, it's more important that the pump is going full speed all the time than it is that the fans are speed controlled, but being speed controlled is sure nice for your sanity.

Solution
BTW, in regard to your PM, you are welcome. I'm always willing to help anybody who is willing to listen, but it gets hard sometimes because often people DON'T want to listen, or they listen but don't hear, OR they already have their mind made up about something and simply can't hear anything else.

I'm not always right, but when I'm not I'll admit it. Usually, even if I'm not right, I'm pretty close, on the right track or can figure it out.

Mostly it's all about patience and a willingness to do a little research as you are learning even through speaking to Silverstone.

Oct 14, 2018

Thank you!!! I am going to look into getting one of those as my PC does run slightly loud with all the fans at full speed!

Slightly less expensive would be this.

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-PWM-Fan-Controller-PH-PWHUB_01/dp/B00M0R05WE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1539657375&sr=8-10&keywords=3+pin+fan+hub

You can connect THIS hub to your system fan header, and in the bios configure it to run off CPU thermal readings instead of the much slower responding motherboard thermal diode readings, and connect all of your case and radiator fan to it. Doesn't matter if they are PWM or 3 pin, all will work.

Then, connect your pump to the CPU fan header, and set it to 100% full time.

Only problem with that is that your case fans will then be a lot more reactive, up and down more frequently, than when they are running off the motherboard chipset thermal diode. Still, better.

Better still though would be the NZXT Grid+ that allows you to fine tune EACH and EVERY fan connected to it through it's desktop CAM software. So, either way would work, and good luck to you.