[SOLVED] Which Western Digital HDD is the most reliable

w.cattermoul

Reputable
Nov 1, 2018
Hi everyone. I am looking to buy a massive hard drive (3TB) to store very important documents and videos (Irreplaceable footage from throughout my life) and i wanted to know which color drive was the most reliable; Blue, Red, Purple Green, Black or Gold. Now i am aware there are lots of forums explaining the differences between them, but so far i haven't com across any comparison of long term reliability. I was looking at some WD purple and Red drives, but im pretty much stumped :/
thanks for any help

Solution
it doesn't matter, what matters is that you have the data stored in more than one place, so don't plan for 1 drive, plan for 3. 2 internals that you store the data on both of them (don't bother with raid or similar just have 2 drives) and a 3rd portable drive that you store elsewhere. Or an offsite backup solution, g-drive/dropbox etc.

And the reason it doesn't matter is that if it fails then it's failed, doesn't matter if it is a 0.05% chance per year, or 0.1% per year, once it's gone it's gone. If 2 blues cost the same as 1 gold then 2 blues are several orders of magnitude safer than 1 gold.
it doesn't matter, what matters is that you have the data stored in more than one place, so don't plan for 1 drive, plan for 3. 2 internals that you store the data on both of them (don't bother with raid or similar just have 2 drives) and a 3rd portable drive that you store elsewhere. Or an offsite backup solution, g-drive/dropbox etc.

And the reason it doesn't matter is that if it fails then it's failed, doesn't matter if it is a 0.05% chance per year, or 0.1% per year, once it's gone it's gone. If 2 blues cost the same as 1 gold then 2 blues are several orders of magnitude safer than 1 gold.

Solution
the western digital drives for desktop and laptop computers are the blue and black series. the others are not meant to be used as a HDD for a home or gaming PC. of all the HDD over the years i never had a western digital drive fail on me yet but i have seen a lot of seagates fail.

mind you there will be people who will have the opposite experience

w.cattermoul

Reputable
Nov 1, 2018

Thanks for your answer, but if i were to get a color drive, which on would you recommend?

TRENDING THREADS