Which Wifi card for my old laptop?

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
Hello,
I am writing from Italy.
I have this old Olivetti P1500 which originally had XP but now has Win 10. Il works alright except that I cannot find a suitable wifi card that would work with Win 10.
I tried about 10 cards, normal and mini, but no luck.
I never had this problem before. I have tinkered with old laptops and wifi always worked, but not with this one.
Is there a way in which I can discover which wifi card I must use, other than just try them all?
I understand maybe I am expecting too much, but there's no harm in trying.
I await your news
Thanks a lot and best regards

Laptop can be tricky sometimes. In general if you can find a card that physically has the correct and has support for win10 it "should" work. Problem is sometimes it is hard to get some combinations. It is like finding a ethernet nic card that has PCI instead of PCIE. It is almost impossible to find one that will work with win10.

Next some laptop vendors are jerks. HP lead the list on many of their older laptop. The laptop vendor has a whitelist of cards and no other card will work. Since most stopped any support years ago they do not add the new cards. You would have to look for a bios update if your laptop has this restriction.

At some point just give up and use a USB based device. As long as you have USB2 ports it should be ok even with the very new cards. Avoid those very tiny adapters they are low power and have very small antenna.

Aug 20, 2020
Laptop can be tricky sometimes. In general if you can find a card that physically has the correct and has support for win10 it "should" work. Problem is sometimes it is hard to get some combinations. It is like finding a ethernet nic card that has PCI instead of PCIE. It is almost impossible to find one that will work with win10.

Next some laptop vendors are jerks. HP lead the list on many of their older laptop. The laptop vendor has a whitelist of cards and no other card will work. Since most stopped any support years ago they do not add the new cards. You would have to look for a bios update if your laptop has this restriction.

At some point just give up and use a USB based device. As long as you have USB2 ports it should be ok even with the very new cards. Avoid those very tiny adapters they are low power and have very small antenna.

Hi, I got interested because I have an old laptop too that its wifi doesnt work anymore with the new modems.
Which USB Wifis do you recommend?