[SOLVED] Which wifi module for my zbox id86

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
Hello,
i have a little zbox from zotac and i want to add a wifi/bluetooth card to the Mini PCI Express slot of the Mini ITX Mainboard. It´s got a Intel D2550 and 4 gigs of DDR3 plus a gt610, so basically it´s not the newest model. I can find info about the models that have wifi already installed but not the exact name of the module or card. It suports RTL 82111, i have read, but not sure if there is different kinds of modules depending on the connectors. Any suggestions what might fit ? Especially Bluetooth would be much appreciated, because of limited amount of USB plugs !

Solution
Larger connectors tend to be RP-SMC for wifi. The very tiny connectors on boards are u.fl or some other that I do not remember now.

Depends on the card many modern ones run bluetooth and wifi on the same antenna. They use 2 or more antenna for the wifi using a methodology called MIMO but you need to find the wifi and see if you can even replace it. On something like a tablet or phone you can not replace the wifi chips. Your machine is kinda inbetween so it is hard to say how they did it.
That is a part number for ethernet.
That device is very lacking when it comes to documentation. What I would do is follow the antenna cable and see what it is plugged into. Many times these are small boards that can be removed. If that is true in your case any board that is the same physical size and uses the same connector type will work. There are only 2-3 common types so if it can be removed you should be able to find a replacement.

You are going to be somewhat limited by only having 1 antenna connection.

You easiest option is to use a USB wifi device but if you have issues already with not enough USB.

That machine has very little value so I am not sure how much you really want to spend upgrading it.

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
I looked at some photos of the mainboard and there seem to be two connectors directly on the underside. They look like BNC connectors and i still have an antenna laying around that might fit. I will have to try if they really fit together. But since it is two, i do not know which one is bluetooth and which one is WiFI. Both are not labelled in any way. I might just try ? What could go wrong ?

Larger connectors tend to be RP-SMC for wifi. The very tiny connectors on boards are u.fl or some other that I do not remember now.

Depends on the card many modern ones run bluetooth and wifi on the same antenna. They use 2 or more antenna for the wifi using a methodology called MIMO but you need to find the wifi and see if you can even replace it. On something like a tablet or phone you can not replace the wifi chips. Your machine is kinda inbetween so it is hard to say how they did it.

Reactions: Nice Nicer
Solution

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
Thank you , you have been helpful. I searched for some Pictures, and u.fl seems to be the connectors directly on the Board . I could spend more money on a single USB antenna. Those that attach directly are really cheap. I will try a u.fl to sma cable to connect my antenna to the board. since both connectors on the board look identical, i will have to try using them one by one this week

Last edited:
Antenna are basically just pieces of wire there are no electronics in them. Changing antenna on your machine will not do much. To change the wifi you must change the elecronics and if you can not remove the board that has the u.fl connectors they you can not replace the wifi.

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
It doesn't have an antenna attached to the board. It came without that. I am using an USB antenna. First i thought i would have to add a WiFi Card to the halfsized Mini PCI Express Slot but If the connectors are directly on the mainboard, i could try those. I have an antenna with a SMA connector and am planning to use that one with u.fl to SMA ( female) cable in between. the reasons are that it is intended If i look at the PC case , that i would have more free USB Ports and that the antennna has about a Meter of cable , so i could place the antenna in a place with better signal quality ( main reason ! ) .

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
The connectors on the board are just for keeping the expansion cards in place. I ordered a half size Mini PCI- e card with Bluetooth and WiFi for a couple of euros . I have read some stuff about the connectors on that one and hope that it will work the way it should. Now I' ll just have to wait for the parts to end up in my mailbox.