Which will best graphic card for my system??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashwin_22

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hi

I want to know which will be best graphics card in 100-150$ price range for this system specs for playing games like GTA4, Need for speed Shift, Prince of persia...

Kindly advice me as soon as possible....

945Motherboard
Core2Duo 2.2Ghz Procesor
1GB RAM
1TB Hard Disk

Solution
1. As Gman450 said HD 6670 / 5670 looks like a safe investment.

2. Also there is a question of how old is your PSU, so its efficiency is no longer as it was at first use (aging capacitors for one, temperature killing them for two, etc.).
Also speaking of PSU, if you get good one (brand and power) now, it will be future proof investment for next rigs.

3. What is your actual graphics card and native resolution of your monitor?
As you stated "you want HD gaming". You don't have to have best graphics if you use lower resolutions.
G

Upgrade ram to at least 2gb or better 4gb (it's not expensive).

I think radeon hd5770/hd6770 is the best card for this price range.

EDIT: or take that deal r1ahul posted, and check if your psu meets the power requirements.

ashwin_22

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
hey guys thanks for reply i m from gujarat india.
Well for RAM i think i use my 4GB pendrive as RAM.
Is this good idea...???
well finaly i have selcted Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 Ultimate
i also want to other than this is there any best option for 120$ or 5000Rs. budget.
because i dont like if i bought graphic card & it doesnt support some game.

Dreks

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Hi,

1. Check for HD 5750 or HD 6750 (if you can't make for HD 6770) - their performance are better than HD 6670. Also lower power consumption than HD 6770 but more than 6670.
For comparison of performance look to the article:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-graphics-card,review-32225-7.html

2. You can't use your pendrive as RAM upgrade. You should buy RAM modules (Random Access Memory) - for description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM.
Probably you need DDR2 RAM modules. 2GB of memory should work for all Windows versions started from Win2k - so it is safe to upgrade. For Vista and 7 it is almost required - especially for gaming.

As for pendrive - You can use pendrive (if it is fast enough) to speed apps loading in Windows - so called Ready Boost:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_boost

Hope it helps.

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Better stay away from a PCIe2.1 card (HD6670 ). I highly doubt that your motherboard has a BIOS update for PCIe2.1 compatibility . So, you would be better off getting a Nvidia card . But make sure that you can return the card to the storekeeper if it doesn't work when you stick to your original decision of getting the HD6670 . As yummerzzz said better go for a HD5770 if you lean towards getting the HD6670 . Also take a look at Nvidia GTS450 . Both the HD5770 and GTS450 cost around Rs.7500

I had a DG35EC mobo and guys from this forum advised me to better get going with a Nvidia card and it works without a hitch.

Wish you luck , dude

ashwin_22

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Well im using Win7 1GB RAM & other 1GB Pen Drive RAM.
Well thanks for advice i have verified your info i think HD 6750 is better option for sure.
I will upgrade to 4GB RAM. i think in 945Mothrbrd DDR2 will fit right??
& well i can buy from any company?? or there are particular companies which are best for this....

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

But make sure you get the 667MhzDDR2 and that s about the fastest you can install in your mobo as your mobo wont support the 800MHzDDR2 clockrate ( 4GB max memory )

Dreks

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
1. RAM - As scapegoat_44 said you should carefully look for RAM upgrades. Altough 800MHz DDR2 RAMs should work mostly in motherboards accepting only 667MHz modules because of compatibility settings in RAMs (SPD chips), but there are always exceptions. Before upgrade check your local retailer if it accepts returns in case of problems.
You can always find manual of your motherboards online and check for compatiblity as well as info about mobo in the manufacturer site.

2. Graphics card - Look very carefully at power requirements of the card you choose and compare it to your PSU wattage. You didn't specify your PSU (Power Supply Unit) Wattage and brand. There is a scenario that it could fail and do a further damage to your computer if you put your new graphics card in.
Look for graphics card reviews and check what PSU reviewers recommend. For some general guidance look for ATI / NVidia PSU specifications for gfx cards as for example AMD HD 6750:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6750/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6750-overview.aspx#3

which states:
"■450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode). "

They are go with safety margin because non-branded PSU tend to have problems with having correct wattages and voltages delivery.

3. General idea - ask a computer geek friend (in reality I mean :) ) to help you if you didn't put up your rig by yourself and just want to upgrade. If you go by yourself I recommend to read some about upgrading. There are always some dilemmas which couldn't be solve by online help.

Hope it helps.

P.S.: Some guidance from AMD site about upgrading old graphics card:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx#header2

ashwin_22

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hi Dreks

thanks for your guidance

well my PSU is Pearl ATX p4 Switching power supply with 450watt i think its local made.

I am using Mercury 945Motherboard currently using 1GB 800Mhz in my system.

Does HD 6750 will work with this specs. I will tell abt the graphics for accepts returns in case of problems.

I dont have computer geek frnd thats why i need help of yours.

Hoping for best because waiting for playing High Defination games.

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Dude , state your budget clearly .

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Your best bet would be to get an AMD HD 5770 or an Nvidia GTS 450 . They cost about Rs.7500 overhere .

Better take a peek at this article ,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,3018-3.html

I would highly recommend getting a HD5770 and do make some favourable terms with the retailer so that you can return it in case it doesn't work .

I think you should be fine going with that PSU ..

Wish you luck mate

ashwin_22

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
HD 5770 & HD 6770 are different or same after all this i coming on that...
because in next month i am going to purchase..
I will tell about replacment to my retailer but how to check with my motherboard for performance
Which point i consider so i didnt get wrong card....
Well im using 1GB 667Mhz DDR2 RAM so i should buy another 4GB RAM same right???

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

HD6770 is just a rebranded HD5770 . When the price diff btwn the 2 is not that vast you can get the HD6770 otherwise you can go for the HD5770 .

You can install a maximum of 4GB DDR2 in your mobo if its a 945GC . But you have to make sure how many memory slots are present in your mobo . You can add another 2GB DDR2 and that would be sufficient for you .

If your mobo is an Intel 945GZ you can add another 1GB DDR2 . ( 2 GB max mem )

ashwin_22

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I am using Mercury 945G mobo
so i can say finally HD 5770 is best for my specs right other than RAM no needs to improve PSU or anything else
I have 2slot of RAM one has 1GB RAM so i think i should add 4GB RAM for better performance.

No, it won't support it.
Even if it does have a external 6 pin pci-e connector, it can neither support the HD 5770 or a GTS 450. The HD 6670 looks like your best bet or a HD 5670 which doesn't require external pci-e connectors.
You should definitely get a better PSU. Local made ones can never be good. They might fail quick.
What's the budget for a new PSU ?

Dreks

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
1. As Gman450 said HD 6670 / 5670 looks like a safe investment.

2. Also there is a question of how old is your PSU, so its efficiency is no longer as it was at first use (aging capacitors for one, temperature killing them for two, etc.).
Also speaking of PSU, if you get good one (brand and power) now, it will be future proof investment for next rigs.

3. What is your actual graphics card and native resolution of your monitor?
As you stated "you want HD gaming". You don't have to have best graphics if you use lower resolutions.

Solution

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
As Gman450 said go for that PSU . Dont seek the opinion of your retailer, the'll be trying to convince you to get a shitty PSU . But if you going for a new build in the near future ,it does make sense to invest in a good branded 750W PSU .

Status
Not open for further replies.