[SOLVED] Which will give a greater fps increase? dGPU or another stick of RAM?

Kypathos

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
I'm going to only be able to choose one for the moment, and cost effectiveness is really the goal here (in other words, I want the best bang for my buck).
For RAM, i was thinking of returning the one I have so speed matching isn't an issue.
I'm also open to going secondhand for a GPU.

I'm using Ryzen's APU with Vega graphics, but I want to be able to play some decent titles with at least 60 FPS on medium settings, like Need For Speed Payback or SW Battlefront II

Here's my specs:
MSI A-320M BAZOOKA
Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5Ghz (oc'ed to 3.8)
Corsair 1x8GB 2400mhz (oc'ed to 2733)
PSU: EVGA 500W (normal, not bronze)
SSD: Samsung 250GB SATA
HDD: 300GB Hitachi

Solution
Yeah, a dedicated card would definitely make a lot more difference to gaming performance.

A dual-channel kit of faster RAM would certainly help performance of your integrated graphics by a fair amount, and of your CPU cores by a bit too, but you still wouldn't be hitting 60fps at 1080p with medium settings in relatively demanding games like Battlefront II. By comparison, something like a Radeon RX 570 can offer more than three times the graphics performance of Vega 8 graphics with dual-channel memory in games where it's not CPU-limited, and that makes it a lot better suited to 1080p resolution.

New RX 570s start at around $130 in the US, and their performance will typically be similar to a GTX 1060 3GB, or within 10-15% of an RX580...

PerplexedMatt

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Definitely consider a dedicated GPU. More RAM would give very little performance benefit for a single monitor system (I run more than 8gb because I keep a game on one monitor and a YT video on the other). A discrete GPU is by far and away the best thing you can do to get better performance in games.

Now if you want to run 37 tabs of Google Chrome, that could be a different story... Otherwise, sourcing a used GPU is not bad idea. I have bought several on FaceBook marketplace and have not been burned. Just something to consider.

Yeah, a dedicated card would definitely make a lot more difference to gaming performance.

A dual-channel kit of faster RAM would certainly help performance of your integrated graphics by a fair amount, and of your CPU cores by a bit too, but you still wouldn't be hitting 60fps at 1080p with medium settings in relatively demanding games like Battlefront II. By comparison, something like a Radeon RX 570 can offer more than three times the graphics performance of Vega 8 graphics with dual-channel memory in games where it's not CPU-limited, and that makes it a lot better suited to 1080p resolution.

New RX 570s start at around $130 in the US, and their performance will typically be similar to a GTX 1060 3GB, or within 10-15% of an RX580 or GTX 1060 6GB. Some of them are also available bundled with downloads for a couple recent game releases, which could be a nice bonus...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/overall-list/#c=392&sort=price&page=1

You will probably want a dual-channel 2x8GB kit of RAM eventually, but as far as what would make the most difference for demanding games in the short-term, it would be a dedicated graphics card.

Solution