Which wireless router on vista 64??

wella691

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Hello ladies and gentleman,

Im just about to upgrade my old belkin wireless router to something that doesnt freeze all the time and struggle with security features.

Im going to be using one laptop running XP and one desktop running vista 64.

Anyone have any recomendations and experience, especially on the vista system.

Thanks in advance

Paul

wella691

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Or does it not matter which router i use as long as the wireless adapters work on the two different operating systems?

Paul

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Some older routers have compatibility issues with Vista and/or IE 7. Newer models or older models with upgraded firmware should be fine. Some brands specifically advertise "Vista Compatible" for such reasons.

A couple of suggestions encompassing budget and higher-end options:

Buffalo WHR-G125
D-Link DIR-655

Hello ladies and gentleman,

Im just about to upgrade my old belkin wireless router to something that doesnt freeze all the time and struggle with security features.

Im going to be using one laptop running XP and one desktop running vista 64.

Anyone have any recomendations and experience, especially on the vista system.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Be sure the router you choose is listed as Vista compatible in the specs. :wink:

Darth_Indy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Let us know how it goes... the router brand "shouldn't" make a difference. It is a stand alone box with an embedded OS and it communicates to the host computer through a web browser (pretty standard).

Good luck.

Frankenstyle

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007

I have an older linksys wireless router, and just got a new computer with vista 64. So far I have had nothing but struggles. I first tried an internal pci wireless adapter (its a desktop), but after a two hour phone call with support, they finally told me that the sticker on the box that said "vista compatable" was only for 32 bit systems not 64. Frustrated, I went with a rather pricy netgear usb adapter, which worked for surfing the internet, and even for about a week with games. For a reason still unknown to me, it would no longer allow me to connect to any games. I would disconnect the second after the level loaded, then the whole internet to my computer would crap out, and I would have to reboot to get it back. Finally I said to hell with wireless and I bought a second cable modem to put right in my room and direct connect to that. Apparently comcast would have to charge twice for that because they cannot split the bandwidth to one home between two modems, so I'm still stuck using my PoS laptop for internet purposes until I can find an adapter that will work, or convince my parents to let me run a 50 foot lan cable from the router to my room.

Whatever you go with, keep track of your receipt, my second try at an adapter only started showing problems after about a week. If you do find something that does work, I would love to know. Until then, good luck.

I started a similar topic about adapters specifically, found here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245573-28-true-vista-compatable-adapters

Frankenstyle

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
That looks really interesting, but I wonder if the performance is really as good as it says. I have no reason to believe otherwise, however, this is the most unique solution I have come across. I have ordered one final network adapter, and will try that. Maybe if it performs like the others I have tried, I will give your latest submission a try.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
If your main concern is internet connectivity, speed should not be an issue. It should easily outperform your Cable or DSL connetion.

Now, if you are doing home networking, it's likely not as fast as wired or some of the Pre-N or Super-G setups.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
If I understood a co-worker correctly, Vista does not get along with WEP and pretty much requires WPA. However, ANY new router will support some flavor of WPA so I can't imagine this being an issue.

About your old router... I take it you upgraded the firmware to the latest version?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Is getting a 802.11n draft router smart or dumb?
My Router just broke. I find some 11n routers that has features I like. But will it be trash when the final 11n routers/cards come out?
I hope the 11n draft routers are advanced enough so all future changes is just firmware ??
Thanks!
(On Topic, I use Vista 64)

FrankCastle83

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
I'm on the same boat as the others. 64 bit Vista hasn't been an issue until this week when I tried setting up a wireless network. I went with a linksys WRT54G which received good reviews, only to bring it home and get a connection that died on me just about every day. After a chat with a Linsys rep I found out they don't support 64 bit OSs. They don't carry a single router that does. At this point I had to return the router and while I was at best buy I spoke with a geek squad member. He said that Belkin might have a solution. So I got on the phone with a belkin rep and asked specifically for a wireless router that would work with Vista 64 bit. This is one that was recommended http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179477. I'm probably going to order one of these, so if it doesn't work out I have a bone to pick with a Belkin rep. I hope that helps everyone out... if it doesn't then we all have bones to pick with a Belkin rep :D

Hmmm... I have a wireless Belkin router on Vista 64. Don't remember the model number offhand, but it's a plain square box, all white, 802.11n, and has the three grey~ish antennas. Plus the usual blue lights on the front of the panel. I'm only using the wireless for the rest of the house though. Stuff like my laptop from work, printers, the wife's Mac and work laptop, etc... My own comp is plugged in, and for no other reason than I my 'office' is closest to where the cable comes into the house. {read this as: "The wife long ago banished me and all my crap to the corner of the basement next to the utility panels so she wouldn't have to look at it/me when she didn't feel like it...." I'm sure you single folks are laughing. Married guys know *exactly* what I mean.} Anyways...

In my case, Vista 64 successfully configured itself for the router on it's generic drivers and settings. It literally did it all in the background when I plugged in Lan cable. I use NetworkMagic for management since I like the pretty pictures and am lazy. Plus it notifies me if I have unwanted guests, and the like. And that works on the generic Vista drivers too. Since this combination was humming long without my "help" I applied the old "Don't Screw With What's Working" rule and didn't bother to install any specific drivers. Quite frankly I was relieved to not have to deal with the potential for endless troubles, and walked away actually thanking Microsoft for a change. In XP I would have at least had to configure the stuff, you know?

I have not tried to use a wireless connection from Vista 64 to the Router. So that might be the deal here. So if you can, try plugging into the Router from your V64 box sans manufacturer drivers, and see where that gets you.

enewmen: My understanding is that the starndard is well enough advanced that it's not (supposed to be) about the hardware any more. So a firmware flash should see you through. And to be honest, the N spec is supposed to be backward compatible anyhow.

FrankCastle83

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Ok, so far so good. I received the Belkin router I mentioned before and I have it up and running. So far it's working much better than Linksys router I had to return. I'm actually able to access files on my Vista 64 System from my PS3's wireless connection. I was not able to get that working with the Linksys, so that's a very good sign. Also the connections seems more solid and reliable. Even though I only had it up for a few hours, it still seems better than the Linksys, which would come in and out when it pleased and required plenty of restarts.

Update: Another plus! I was also able to network my all in one HP. It works perfectly.

stsabkab

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Need router for Vista 64 bit laptop. Is yours still working after 6 months? Would you recommend it? My desktop is 32bit. Have you tried it with a 32bit? Comcast will charge double if I use two Modems.

andune

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009

I don't have any real recommendation for a router as I've been to cheap to look for such a solution myself. I do know my existing router doesn't play nice with Vista and I don't have a wireless card in the desktop to test it with windows 7.

An alternative that I did get working (at least for now) was to share my laptop's (WinXP) internet connection with the desktop over a basic 10/100 wired setup (dumb switch and cat5). It requires both machines to be running to access Internet on the desktop, but it's a workable solution if you don't have a wireless adapter in one machine or a router that works with one you might have.