[SOLVED] which would be best

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Ive recently auired another motherboard and an i5-2500k cpu.. the board is a gigabyte GA-H61M-D2P-B3 my question is this, currently I have a AMD FX-6300 on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 (ver 1.2) but I would like to basically rebuild the 2 PCs, and sell one.. I know both chips are old, but I was wondering which one should I keep.. I would buy a case, PSU etc for which ever one I kept and use my old equipment (which is still working fine for the one I sell) .. my current system is

AMD fx-6300
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
8Gb DDR3 RAM
450Watt EVGA 80+ bronze PSU
AMD Radeon R7 250 Series (MSI) 2Gb
X Nova Case

I plan on buying a new PSU and video card (this month) so the new Machine (one I keep) would have a CORSAIR TX-M Series TX650M Gold plus Certified PSU and a new MSI Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 RX 570 ARMOR MK2 8Gb Also would buy a new case (just undecided on that so far) I am just not sure (short of testing the 2 setups, benchmarks etc ) which one would be best to keep , I know they are both old .. but any advice would be great

the New machine would have the new PSU, as well the new GPU. but I would keep all my old hardware (HDD) in new one and setup the second to sell

Solution
Not to make you panic but there's actually a better chance of ruining the CPU via an auto overclock program instead of manually overclocking as they typically can use more voltage then what's actually required (electromigration but the CPU could still last awhile depending on how much voltage). This is why before you enable most of those programs there's a disclaimer stating that once it's enabled they take no fault if it goes south. Also for example if you had 10 FX 6300's and manually overclocked each of them you'd probably end up with 10 different results. Every chip will overclock differently.

Anyways going from 3.3 to 3.7 on all cores isn't going to give you some massive boost so keeping it as-is is perfectly fine.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I'm in Canada and rural area so I order everything threw Newegg.ca or Amazon , as we dont have any tech stores around for 100 miles or more.. I have a very low budget hence why I am trying to determine out of the 2 which would be best. If I could afford a new board, chip and ram I would buy them , perhaps selling what I have would allow me to buy new, but at this time I still would require a PC , so out of the 2 options , which should I keep.. (at least until I can sell 1 then perhaps buy new board etc) I would have to buy parts over a couple months, I am on disability so money for me is extremely tight, I know a new board/chip I can get deals on sets for a few hundred dollars, whether they be great I dont know but Id assume anything new would almost for sure be better than what I have. but again until I could save enough to buy a whole new board etc I have to stick with what I have. Im just not sure out of the 2 which is best, I see many reviews saying the 15-2500k is better than the FX-6300 … but then I see some that say it isn't.. or isn't enough better to be significant .

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
guess best way to ask is.,... IF you were given either, the AMD-FX6300 setup or the i5-2500k setup, wich would you take.. if the graphics card PSU and everything were identical.. which one would you pic and why..

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I'd take the 2500K any day over the FX 6300 as it performs better even with that locked motherboard.
thanks for that info, I see many reviews that state the same, that the i5 even though has less cores etc out performs the FX-6300 . So maybe its the i5 I should keep, I would have to assume it will run the new graphics card better as well and then I can sell the FX system and maybe make enough to buy a new Board and chip, at that time I could sell the i5 chip and board (im told by a local shop that the board used now is worth more than it ever was new being hard to find. not sure how true that is though)

DanteKid

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Definitely the i5 2500K. FX does have more cores and threads, but the CPU performance under heavy pressure looks like it only has 4 cores and sometimes less. The FX was popular back in the day. 2500K still holds great compared to 7600K. The FX bottlenecks current new GPUs. Overclocked the i5 can hold itself against Zen1 Ryzen 3 1200 and Ryzen 5 1400.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jiXkrRoD4w
. Well at release the FX was almost 3 times cheaper than the 2500K so you can cut it some slack, but if you're planning on building yourself a gaming PC then you should totally keep the i5

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
thank you for your answer. I do play games now on the FX system , Im not a heavy gamer but do play some ,that's why im buying a new GPU. the one I have does play every game I do play , some better than others , but all playable. Ive heard a lot of good things about how this older i5 still holds its own, and I know most games (if any) really utilize multi core, like I dont think any game will use all 6 core of the FX properly (if at all) .. so loosing 2 cores shouldn't be a big issue for games, it might be if I was editing video etc but I never do that .. so I guess I will keep the i5 and build that as my "new" system. at least till I can sell what I have then buy a new cpu/board combo with RAm, as Im sure the only thing Ill be able to keep will be the HDD and GPU/PSU

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
would there be any way I could OC the i5 with the board I have? you said board was locked. I can OC the amd threw overdrive, does the i5 have similar software to oc without needing to fiddle with voltage etc threw the bios

WildCard999

Titan
would there be any way I could OC the i5 with the board I have? you said board was locked. I can OC the amd threw overdrive, does the i5 have similar software to oc without needing to fiddle with voltage etc threw the bios
I think you can force all cores to run at the max in the BIOS but that would be about it. Even without a overclock you should still see a decent bump in performance.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
ok thanks.. OC scares me anyways lol.. yes I know nothing to be afraid of, its the ADD I think.. I always worry if I do something wrong Im going to blow the system up.. lol an im sure you can .. but Ive only ever done any OC threw overdive and in my mind I always think the software would (hopefully) prevent damage done to chip, where bios your more messing with the guts of the machine so more likely to mess <Mod Edit> up and do damage.. its just me .. lol..

Last edited by a moderator:

WildCard999

Titan
Not to make you panic but there's actually a better chance of ruining the CPU via an auto overclock program instead of manually overclocking as they typically can use more voltage then what's actually required (electromigration but the CPU could still last awhile depending on how much voltage). This is why before you enable most of those programs there's a disclaimer stating that once it's enabled they take no fault if it goes south. Also for example if you had 10 FX 6300's and manually overclocked each of them you'd probably end up with 10 different results. Every chip will overclock differently.

Anyways going from 3.3 to 3.7 on all cores isn't going to give you some massive boost so keeping it as-is is perfectly fine.

Solution