which would be better i5 3570k or i7 3770 for Z77 Mobo

adelsky

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Hello Tomshardware!

i5 3570k or i7 3770 (non k) for Z77 Mobo

I have a GTX 970, MSI Z77A-GD65, G.SKILL 16GB 1600Mhz, SDD 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, Gigabyte Power Supply Odin Pro 800W, Case CM Storm

which would be better for

a) Future proofing
b) performance for games
c) Money? (Not very important to me)

Thanks guys!

KKAW

Admirable

The gaming performance will be near identical.

However since you can overclock the i5 3570K you will be able to get better performance in game. Especially with a good motherboard like yours, overclocking will be easy.

Anyways what is your CPU Cooler? If you are going to get the i5 3570K make sure to get a decent cooling for high overclocks.

If you are going to stream, video edit, heavy multitasking, compressing, 3D rendering and all these other programs that utilize 8 threads the i7 3770 may help you out. However if you are mostly gaming the i5 3570K would be my choice.

g-unit1111

Titan
You are aware that there really isn't such a thing as "future proofing" right? Especially on a platform that's now two generations removed. A 3570K and 970 should work for a while depending on what monitor resolution you are running. I have a similar setup with a 3570K and GTX 760, but I'm planning on upgrading to a 960 next week.

I'll get the I7 3770 even if it isn't unlocked. New games tend to use the extra threads of the i7. Like someone said before me there 'isn't such a thing as "future proofing"". That means to make smart choices about what you buy and what are you going to use. So pick the i7 (second best after the K version for that already outdated platform). It will be more "future-proof".

g-unit1111

Titan

It's all about the graphics and not necessarily the processor. The i5-2500K is still relevant even if it is three generations removed, and hell, people still game on Q6600s, and i7-920s. The processor doesn't necessarily ensure system longevity, the graphics card more determines that.

I just built a mini ITX rig with my 3570K and a Zotac Z77 ITX motherboard, it's pretty sweet. I definitely plan on upgrading the GPU in the next couple of weeks.

g-unit1111

Titan

The 3770K would be better than that. The bad thing is Z77 CPUs are hard to come by anymore, unless you get lucky and score a good deal on the CPU on eBay, like I did with my motherboard. So if you have a motherboard that allows for overclocking, why not get the unlocked version? Doesn't make sense if you ask me.