Which would be better?

stephenburysek

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Buying a "gaming" laptop of sorts. I don't plan to play anything too intensive, just stuff like Skyrim and Civilization 5. Anyways I can go one of two ways. I can get a 14" screen at 1080p, or a 17.3" at 900p. Both use a GTX 765m GPU. Which would you pick, and why? I'm leaning towards the 14", even if I don't game in 1080p always it'll be nice for my desktop resolution and general web surfing I think. Anyways, definitely open to opinions, thanks!

Solution
I read an article on important monitor considerations (I am trying to find the link for you - will post again here if I can find it).

Considerations included that the monitor should have a high refresh rate of 120MHz (better than 60MHz), low input lag (i.e: .7 or 1.3 but under 8.3 for sure), and fast response time of 1ms if possible. These specs were for a desktop computer monitor and I am not sure if they also would apply to laptop monitor, but I think they probably do. Good luck.

ChrisDarazs

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
900 to 1080p is a very little leap between desktop resolutions. 17.3 will look better simply because it is bigger and if you use windows 7 you can configure the taskbar size etc so definitely go with the 17.3.

keldon

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
I read an article on important monitor considerations (I am trying to find the link for you - will post again here if I can find it).

Considerations included that the monitor should have a high refresh rate of 120MHz (better than 60MHz), low input lag (i.e: .7 or 1.3 but under 8.3 for sure), and fast response time of 1ms if possible. These specs were for a desktop computer monitor and I am not sure if they also would apply to laptop monitor, but I think they probably do. Good luck.

Solution