Question Which would be better?

Jul 27, 2019
I am trying to share my phone's internet connection through my PC to my PS4. I have downloaded an app that will help with that (PDANet+) and have had some issues.

There is a wifi share option, but I haven't been able to get it to work effectively. I lose connection every fewinutes and get kicked out of my games.

I have found a workaround. By going to that connect, properties, sharing, and allow others to receive this connection and then chose Ethernet, I have been able to get this to work.

However, I am having some hardware compatibility issues. My phone is a Pixel 3a with a USB-C to USB-C charger. My usual computer has a USB-C port, but no Ethernet port. I have another computer with an Ethernet port, but no USB-C port. The other USB-C charger that I have that would plug into the second computer won't charge my pixel. I have tried this strategy with a Samsung S8 on the same carrier and it works. So I have to figure out how to get it to work with my Pixel. Which would be better?

Use my usual computer and buy a USB to Ethernet adapter? Would this even work? Could I send the connection through to Ethernet if I have to have an adapter to even use Ethernet?

Or buy a USB-C to USB adapter that would plug into my computer with the Ethernet port?

Thanks in advance!!

The function you are likely using is called ICS. Microsoft has pretty good documentation. This is a old left over from when people used to share a dialup modem that was connected to their pc. It is a pretty stupid tool and can be somewhat unstable. Things like power save modes and many other things mess it up.

It should work to use a USB ethernet port. The key thing is that the driver have the sharing option used by ICS. Most normal device drivers do, things like the virtual adapters vpn create do not.

Why do you not just use the hotspot feature on your phone. If you PS4 is that old that it does not have wifi get what is called a client-bridge. These are more commonly sold as "extenders" now days but in effect it is a wifi nic card on a etherent cable.

Sharing internet though your computer in effect makes your computer a very expensive router. You have to be extremely careful what other software you run on the computer because it can cause delays to the data passing thought it.

Jul 27, 2019
The function you are likely using is called ICS. Microsoft has pretty good documentation. This is a old left over from when people used to share a dialup modem that was connected to their pc. It is a pretty stupid tool and can be somewhat unstable. Things like power save modes and many other things mess it up.

It should work to use a USB ethernet port. The key thing is that the driver have the sharing option used by ICS. Most normal device drivers do, things like the virtual adapters vpn create do not.

Why do you not just use the hotspot feature on your phone. If you PS4 is that old that it does not have wifi get what is called a client-bridge. These are more commonly sold as "extenders" now days but in effect it is a wifi nic card on a etherent cable.

Sharing internet though your computer in effect makes your computer a very expensive router. You have to be extremely careful what other software you run on the computer because it can cause delays to the data passing thought it.
My PS4 does have wifi. However, we don't have internet at my house. Also, mobile hotspot from the phone is against TOS of my carrier. They detector it and then turn my data off. PDANet shows up as actual data, not hotspot.