Question Which would be faster / more responsive: Old Samsung 850 EVO or New Samsung 860 QVO?

Mar 3, 2019
Hi,

I have received a PC from IT department with a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB. I guess that this drive is about 2 years old. I have a new Samsung 860 QVO 1TB, would it be worth it to replace the hard drive and install the Windows on the QVO?

I understood that QVO is a bit slower than EVO, but this is 860 vs 850 and the drive is newer. I'm not sure which one would be better / faster / more responsive.

Both are SATA connection.

I'll be glad if you can advise.

Thank you!

Hi,

I have received a PC from IT department with a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB. I guess that this drive is about 2 years old. I have a new Samsung 860 QVO 1TB, would it be worth it to replace the hard drive and install the Windows on the QVO?

I understood that QVO is a bit slower than EVO, but this is 860 vs 850 and the drive is newer. I'm not sure which one would be better / faster / more responsive.

Thank you!
Ahaha sorry that like what weights more 60lb of feathers or 60lb of bricks. It ALL deepends on you no matter what anyone else says to me it the same thing in a newly labelled box with and model to the name

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hi,

Thank you!

I think barring running a benchmark which will show you small differences in performance, replacing that drive is a waste of time. You would never know the difference.

Reactions: coastie65

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,

Thank you!
I have a selection of 2 x 840, 2 x 850, and 1 x 860 (not QVO), in the same machine.
User facing performance is identical.

Any differences would be shown only in specific artificial benchmarks, and only in single digit percentages.

Leave the 1TB 850 EVO where it is.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you guys!
@USAFRet do you think I should leave it there even when considering it is 2 years old, compared to the 860 which is new? does it matter in any significant aspect?
Yes, leave it as is. I would, and did.
'Newer' does not equal 'faster or better'.
When I added in the 2x 860 (500GB and 1TB), I left the 500GB 850 as the OS drive, because there was no reason to change.

CrystalDiskMark 6.0 tests done in the last hour:
1kjq9zJ.png

I was running 2 1Tb 850 EVO SSDs in here until I did an upgrade. I replaced one of them with a 1TB Samsung 870 EVO NVMe M.2 drive. I wiped and reformatted the one 850 SSD and put that in a laptop that had a spinner. Those numbers above tell the tale.