Question Which would you buy right now? 3800x, 3900x, 9900KF, 9900K, or 9900KS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Hi all!

So im going to give you a case scenario, and id love to here some opinions on what youd pick out of the above options for a new build tomorrow!

Alright the computer will be running a 2080ti, it will have either 32 or 64GB of ram at lets say 3600mhz, and will be running a 3440x1440 21:9 screen for gaming at 100Hz, and a secondary 27 inch 4k monitor for various uses. All within a highend custom cooling loop.

The computer will mainly be used for gaming in ultra for games in the league of the Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Red Dead ect. It will also be used for causal graphic design/video editing, and for occasional general day to day administration and report generating work. I think thats a reasonable average use for people looking at these CPUs right?

Here in Australia prices are as follows (roughly)
3800x - $599
3900x - $789
9900KF - $699
9900K - $799
9900KS - $859

So whats it going to be, what are you taking and why? What is the biggest factor for you, theres no shame if your hard team AMD or team Intel, is it price, is it flexibility, is it OC'ing? Im interested to see what people say.

Ryzen 7 3700x is more than enough for most people. Ryzen 9 3900x is major overkill.

Since we're talking about me I would get the Ryzen 7 3700x because it is a better deal than the 3800x and the Ryzen 9 is way out of my usual budget. I usually try to save as much as possible for a better graphics card. If I already had the best GPU though I would definitely get the 3900x because it is better than anything Intel offers on mainstream. Intel can't compete unless they lower prices or do something dirty like they've done before when AMD was ahead in the past. I like intel but I wouldn't get a 9900KS unless it was heavily discounted because 1. It's a dead platform 2. It's 8 good cores vs 12 good cores. Obviously I wouldn't go for 8 cores when I could get 12. In the bulldozer days AMD had twice the core count and Intel still won. Those days are over for now. I'd be willing to bet that soon Intel will leap ahead again and AMD will try to fight back with higher core counts and lower prices but I don't know when it will happen.

Nov 4, 2019
Ill just leave this here 36 game test if you don't feel like reading video. You can also watch this where they talk about AMD vs Intel youtube and why someone might choose one over the other.

but for me
straight gaming -> intel
gaming plus streaming -> i would look hard at AMD
any multi core activities -> AMD

Questions: causal graphic design/video editing, and for occasional general day to day administration and report generating work. Are you getting paid for any of this? Do you care how long it takes to finish these tasks?

If you answer no to both of these go intel. If ether of the answers is a yes look at AMD.
Best answer in a nutshell!