Question Which would you keep? Strong glow or acceptable glow and a dead pixel

John1988

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
I have gone through three of these LG 32GP850-B monitors now. Pretty much I don't want to keep returning to Amazon in fear of too many returns. So I have two of them now, One has pretty bad glow on the right side (I can see a brownish tint when it's dark or black screen). The other one has very acceptable glow, and was very happy with it until I noticed a stuck/dead pixel center screen.
I know the phone pictures are not accurate, but you can tell the difference in glow intensity between the two. I'm just going to keep using one of these and probably sell it when the Samsung S32AG52 that's comes out later this year.

I also have to say LG has pretty bad quality control;
  • All three of the monitors seemed to have been repackaged (multiple layers of tape, little bit of debris inside box)
  • All three had handprint/fingerprints all over the screen and backside, those prints leave some kind of whiteish residue
  • These just don't seem NEW when you get them lol.
First monitor: Would go haywire and become unresponsive when turning off the 180hz overclock, very very loose menu joystick, noticeable blue glow upper left
Monitor going crazy when turning off factory overclock

Second monitor: Had different kind of packaging material inside, was not set to factory settings, missing usb wire, dead pixel
Third monitor: Excessive glow on right side corner areas, never seen ips have a brownish tint (only other IPS I have to compare to are the 27" and 32" predator monitors which had very acceptable glow)

Third monitor: Excessive glow/bleed on right side corner areas showing a slight brownish tint when viewing dark or black screens.

Which one would YOU keep?

JRN37qT.jpg

iIGRm3s.jpg

Last edited:
both seem to have terrible backlight bleed, what i imagine you mean by "glow".

having this many issues with this many of this same model i would just return them and find something overall better.
LG has pretty bad quality control
are you sure these are actually coming directly from LG?

there are many manufacturer certified "re"sellers through Amazon that offer refurbished and re-certified products.
many of them not actually stating that's what they're offering because the products may appear new to a lot of buyers.
some of these are shipped from certified refurbishing plants or warehouses but not sold by the actual manufacturer.

John1988

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
both seem to have terrible backlight bleed, what i imagine you mean by "glow".

having this many issues with this many of this same model i would just return them and find something overall better.

are you sure these are actually coming directly from LG?

there are many manufacturer certified "re"sellers through Amazon that offer refurbished and re-certified products.
many of them not actually stating that's what they're offering because the products may appear new to a lot of buyers.
some of these are shipped from certified refurbishing plants or warehouses but not sold by the actual manufacturer.

I never buy used/refurb items. It said "Buy New" and "Sold and shipped by Amazon". I see the label on the box that it was sent from LG to Amazon. I do see reviews saying they felt they were sent refurbs. Link to Monitor

I like the simple design and specs of this monitor, and it was on sale for $397, which is why I purchased it. I guess I'll keep the one with worse light bleed, I can't unsee that pixel on the other one.

Is it possible LG is fixing & repackaging returned items, and sending as new to retailers?

SykXdvw.jpg

fywyNJy.jpg

3uNQ3j9.jpg

I never buy used/refurb items. It said "Buy New" and "Sold and shipped by Amazon"...

Is it possible LG is fixing & repackaging returned items, and sending as new to retailers?
many of them not actually stating that's what they're offering...

I would return them both.
Amazon accepts returns.
Some sellers on amazon may have different return policies.

The receiving people do not have the means to test returns so they do not know if the return is because of a defect or not. No telling if they are accepted as good and simply resold, or they are known to have issues and resold as refurb or whatever.
Return both and buy from another shop which can guarantee a new product.
If Amazon will not accept the return, contact LG for warranty support.
The unit with the dead pixel may be an issue.
Normally a dead pixel is not a valid cause for a return.
But, in this case, it is large and close to the center.

You can't in good conscience resell either unit without full disclosure of the problems.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
That bleed is insane, the picture isn't even remotely close to being black... and they're charging almost $500 for it (on amazon)... what the F, seriously.

Which one would YOU keep?
None! I second geofelt and would return both and get something that's a bit better but that's not going to be entirely possible.
As far as I know all LED monitors suffer from this bleed issue since is inherent to the technology itself, I've read OLED overcomes it since it eliminates the need for the backlight but for the moment they're too big and too expensive to be considered an alternative.

One of the reasons I haven't replaced my trusty tube yet is backlight bleed, any dark picture or video will always look terrible on led when compared against crt to me, size could be a limitation but for the moment a 21" is more than enough for me.

any dark picture or video will always look terrible on led when compared against crt
i've had a few LED monitors with almost imperceptible back-light bleed; a 27" 1080p LG 3D, a 27" 1440p AOC, and my current 34" 1440p Alienware.

the pros of wider screens, a higher resolutions, higher refresh rates, lower response times, much better color reproduction, and higher contrast FAR outweighs anything an old CRT can offer.
plus the light reflection on these glass screens seems much worse than most back-light bleed issues i've ever encountered.

Reactions: Krotow