Which X5160 for a DL380 G5?

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
not 100% sure but...
i dont think a retail box cooler will fit the DL380 due to the locking mechanism.

at least there was the last time i purchased a DL server line. there was a specific locking mechanism that didnt grab the cpu but rather reached over the entire heatsink to hold the CPU in place.

i think youll need a specific one designed for the HP.
these come with the power module that you will need as well.http://sillworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=xeon+g5&x=0&y=0

spellegrino

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Thanks sandmanwn, I checked out sillworks.com, but don't see a 5160 for the DL380 G5 there. Anyway, I hope you're not correct, because I ordered the "retail boxed processor" version (had to do it before end of December for tax purposes).

I do know that I had to order a PPM from HP for the BIOS to pick up the additional processor, but that was only $80 bucks.

I'll post here to report whether it works (or not).

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Thanks sandmanwn, I checked out sillworks.com, but don't see a 5160 for the DL380 G5 there. Anyway, I hope you're not correct, because I ordered the "retail boxed processor" version (had to do it before end of December for tax purposes).

I do know that I had to order a PPM from HP for the BIOS to pick up the additional processor, but that was only $80 bucks.

I'll post here to report whether it works (or not).

A retail 5160 is probably not going to fit into the socket in a 380G5. The HSF mechanism is totally different retail boxed proc compared with HP's kits and the mounting mechanism.

And as a note - we buy dual proc (4 way) G5's all the time and *never* have to buy anything for the BIOS for our servers to see the additional proc...not sure what your sales rep is trying to do here but I don't think he knows his product very well...

spellegrino

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Thanks Boduke, my box is currently a single, the goal is to make it a 2x. According to HP support, singles ship with only 1 PPM; G5 user guide says:

"IMPORTANT: Always install a PPM when you install a processor. The system fails to boot if the corresponding PPM is missing."

If you guys are right about the CPU my plan to save a few hundred bucks by DIY was a bad one :cry:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT
---------------------------------------------------------------------

So there's REALLY a difference between these???

HP part number: 416799-001
http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.asp?mscssid=V3C2Q4G6QMEG9M8FVAJWSDKX8M672EC1&SearchInc=PartNumber&PageName=Header

HP X5160 on supplier sites: 418324-B21

Intel 5160 box codes:
BX805565160A and BX805565160P

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9RT

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
And as a note - we buy dual proc (4 way) G5's all the time and *never* have to buy anything for the BIOS for our servers to see the additional proc...not sure what your sales rep is trying to do here but I don't think he knows his product very well...
The Rep probably meant Voltage Regulator Module (VRM) which you do need for each processor in the system.

It used to be called a (PPM) Processor Power Module in past models when the Proliant servers were owned by Compaq.