Question Which x570 motherboard for first gaming build Ryzen 3700x

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Hi, building my first gaming rig so i'm a newbie :)

Just finalizing my build but not sure on what motherboard to go for.

I'm only going to be gaming on it at 1080p 144hz primary monitor and talking to friends on voice chat and browsing random stuff on internet, watching youtube videos and twitch at 1440p 60hz secondary monitor. Will upgrade primary monitor to 1440p 144hz eventually when I upgrade my gpu.

Doesn't matter if it doesn't have wireless built in as I connect to internet with ethernet directly and doesn't matter if it doesn't have bluetooth either as i don't use bluetooth for anything.

I won't be doing any manual overlocking to whatever can be overlocked like RAM, CPU, GPU albecause I don't trust myself to not damage something. If there's automatic options where i can just select a preset overclock for anything i'll do that though.

Here's my build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£281.98 @ Aria PC)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste (£4.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard (£293.91 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (£111.41 @ More Computers)
Storage: Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£66.36 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£89.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB STRIX GAMING Advanced Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£113.40 @ Alza)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£48.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1095.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-12 03:45 GMT+0000

Am I wasting money on that Taichi based on what I've said above? Not entirely sure on what board to go for at all. I don't want to pay a lot of money for a good board that has stuff on it that I won't take advantage of however I don't want to buy a really cheap bad board either because for the parts of the board i will be using i'd like them to be premium if that makes sense as i would like it to be as future proof as possible as i do plan to make upgrades to like the GPU, ram, ssds, CPU in the future.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBalz

zx128k

Reputable
That's a good table, mine is 171, recommends minor airflow if I overclock, to be honest I dont have a single case fan but my vrms idle at 32°C, hit about 42°C under load and very rarely top 50 °C if I'm benchmarking so maybe I'm just lucky.

Here is why you have to be careful, https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-tested-on-cheap-b350-motherboard/3.html

Note this is a 3900x and the VRM temperature on a B350 motherboard. In this case they used a ASUS Prime B350-Plus .

Water-Cooled CPU
Let's see what happens when we use a 240 mm AIO instead of the Noctua. This reduces the air flow over the VRM's because the AIO block does not have a fan.

flir-water-stock-battlefield.jpg

Here, we are playing Battlefield V on the system—things are heating up now: 116°C.
flir-water-stock-blender.jpg

With our multi-threaded Blender load applied, the VRMs reached 130°C, but the system did not crash and chugged on perfectly fine. As we've seen, this seems to be the point where some sort of throttling starts to ensure nothing gets damaged by the heat.
flir-water-oc-blender.jpg

If we overclock the CPU, too, to 4.0 GHz at 1.225 V, VRM temperature goes way above what these coils are rated to handle, reaching 138°C and higher. Once 140°C is reached, the CPU will reduce its clock speed to 550 MHz (no matter how many cores are active), which immediately drops the VRM temperature well below 140°C.

This is what they mean by keeping air flow over the vrm's. From our spreadsheet row 162 we can see,

Prime B350-PlusATX🗙**41x 4C09B2x 4C06B

So the spreadsheet tells us we must keep major air flow over the VRM's for a 3900x. That installing a 3950x is unwise. Above the AIO provides none of the air flow an air cooler would provide causing the VRM's to overheat.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Last edited:

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Hi, building my first gaming rig so i'm a newbie :)

Just finalizing my build but not sure on what motherboard to go for.

I'm only going to be gaming on it at 1080p 144hz primary monitor and talking to friends on voice chat and browsing random stuff on internet, watching youtube videos and twitch at 1440p 60hz secondary monitor. Will upgrade primary monitor to 1440p 144hz eventually when I upgrade my gpu.

Doesn't matter if it doesn't have wireless built in as I connect to internet with ethernet directly and doesn't matter if it doesn't have bluetooth either as i don't use bluetooth for anything.

I won't be doing any manual overlocking to whatever can be overlocked like RAM, CPU, GPU albecause I don't trust myself to not damage something. If there's automatic options where i can just select a preset overclock for anything i'll do that though.

Here's my build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£281.98 @ Aria PC)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste (£4.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard (£293.91 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (£111.41 @ More Computers)
Storage: Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£66.36 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£89.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB STRIX GAMING Advanced Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£113.40 @ Alza)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£48.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1095.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-12 03:45 GMT+0000

Am I wasting money on that Taichi based on what I've said above? Not entirely sure on what board to go for at all. I don't want to pay a lot of money for a good board that has stuff on it that I won't take advantage of however I don't want to buy a really cheap bad board either because for the parts of the board i will be using i'd like them to be premium if that makes sense as i would like it to be as future proof as possible as i do plan to make upgrades to like the GPU, ram, ssds, CPU in the future.

Thanks. :)

I can only recommended the motherboard I have. Its an X570 motherboard with PCI-E 4.0 slots. Its served me well so far.

Link: Gigabyte X570 Auros Master

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
Automatic OC is still overclocking and the Taichi will be better at this.

As for future proofing, the AM4 socket will be discontinued after Ryzen 4000.

Good point. I was just reading an article yesterday discussing how the next desktop processors (post 3000-series) will be the last CPUs on the AM4 socket. I am also building a new system and had thought about a 570 board for future proofing but now can't really see a reason not to buy a B450 (or B550 if it should be released before I finish the build, which has been delayed because of unexpected expenses). I don't overclock and use is much the same as in the original post.