While gaming dedicated GPU switches to Integrated GPU causing FPS drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2018
Laptop is asus f556u with geforce 940mx.
While playing games (lol, borderlands 2 and others) it starts them with the nvidia GPU and everything is ok, but after some time it switches to integrated gpu causing it's usage to become high and also CPU usage to become low and that's causing very low FPS in-game.
Power settings are on max performance mode, nvidia control panel settings global as well as program specific are set to use nvidia gpu and power mode in nvidia control panel is set to prefer max performance
OS is Windows 10.
I don't think it happens when something goes wrong in game as I see it happens in menus as well.
So basically - start the game, it uses nvidia GPU, high FPS - after some time, a minute, two, it switches to integrated GPU and lowers CPU usage to about 13% (I think that's because integrated gpu is using cpu power) and FPS drops to very low - then again after a minute it switches back to nvidia gpu causing stable FPS.. and then again igpu -> dedicated etc

Oct 28, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from robertbulczak : "While gaming dedicated GPU switches to Integrated GPU causing FPS drops"

Laptop is asus f556u with geforce 940mx.
While playing games (lol, borderlands 2 and others) it starts them with the nvidia GPU and everything is ok, but after some time it switches to integrated gpu causing it's usage to become high and also CPU usage to become low and that's causing very low FPS in-game.
Power settings are on max performance mode, nvidia control panel settings global as well as program specific are set to use nvidia gpu and power mode in nvidia control panel is set to prefer max performance
OS is Windows 10.
I don't think it happens when something goes wrong in game as I see it happens in menus as well.
So basically - start the game, it uses nvidia GPU, high FPS - after some time, a minute, two, it switches to integrated GPU and lowers CPU usage to about 13% (I think that's because integrated gpu is using cpu power) and FPS drops to very low - then again after a minute it switches back to nvidia gpu causing stable FPS.. and then again igpu -> dedicated etc

Status
Not open for further replies.