[SOLVED] while gaming my cpu gets to around 80 degrees Celsius and my gpu around 75. should i be worried and whats the best way to solve this?

Solution
Upon a littler further research, getting a new CPU cooler might not be an option for you as apparently the T3500's generally have motherboards that won't work with most consumer CPU coolers. T3500's seem to have come with 2 CPU cooler options, a basic one and a performance one, if you have the basic one you could upgrade to the performance one.

You should probably redo you CPUs thermal paste either way if you haven't done that recently.

Better/more case fans, and a better CPU fan could also improve your temps.

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
80°C is hot but not dangerous, if it goes above 85°C then it might start hurting the longevity of the processor but not much. Processors have protection against overheating so you won't melt it unless you turn that off and do something crazy

75°C for a GPU is only 5°C above the normal for that GPU so don't be alarmed.

In short: You're good to go!

Reactions: ELITEVISION
All documentation that I've seen says that CPU has a max operating temp of 68c, so you're running too hot. I assume xeons have lower suggested temps since they are expected to be running 24/7, so you probably aren't be doing any real damage.

That being said, you should consider getting a better cpu cooler and improving case air flow. (information on your mobo, cooler, case, fans would be helpful).

Reactions: ELITEVISION
Jul 21, 2019
All documentation that I've seen says that CPU has a max operating temp of 68c, so you're running too hot. I assume xeons have lower suggested temps since they are expected to be running 24/7, so you probably aren't be doing any real damage.

That being said, you should consider getting a better cpu cooler and improving case air flow. (information on your mobo, cooler, case, fans would be helpful).
im using t3500 workstation.

Upon a littler further research, getting a new CPU cooler might not be an option for you as apparently the T3500's generally have motherboards that won't work with most consumer CPU coolers. T3500's seem to have come with 2 CPU cooler options, a basic one and a performance one, if you have the basic one you could upgrade to the performance one.

You should probably redo you CPUs thermal paste either way if you haven't done that recently.

Better/more case fans, and a better CPU fan could also improve your temps.

Solution

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

T-case IS NOT T-junction, Xeon processors do not use the same metric on intel ark. Xeons are almost always based on consumer chips like i7 since it costs too much designing a new chip. You seem to get this but with your wording using "max operating temp" is misleading. Be more careful next time around :)

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
True, "max" really isn't max, but its intels terminology not mine.
"CPU has a max operating temp of 68c " Intel does not say CPU has that max, the IHS has that Max the die is probably somewhere around 100c max. Intels terminology isn't bad they're just using the IHS temps since the IHS limits temps not die like consumer chips which are limited by die temps.

Max is Max they're just different Max's for different parts, you probably got confused by the different ways to measure.