Question While gaming, my screen goes black then to a random color, then I have to restart. Consistent problem

Aug 29, 2020
(MOVE IF NECESSARY PLEASE)

My PC started having a problem where when I was playing certain games, the GPU fan would gain high RPM's and I would lose signal to the monitor. I decided it was on its last legs, and bought a new one. Everything was going great till I would randomly black screen. Then it got worse and I could barely make it through the main menu on a title and then my screen would flicker, my audio would glitch out, then I would black screen. My audio would come back on I would still be able to hear my friend in discord, and the game audio. But I would have to restart and try again. I found out my latest windows update wasn't installed, and I did that along with installing some out of date drivers and reinstalling my current GPU driver on nvidia. I was now able to play games and I thought my problem was fixed. Until i tried to play other titles and I was only able to play games to a certain extent. My PC now will randomly go to a colored screen. its usually a dark color. Ive gotten a dark green, maroon, beige, sometimes its white and beige stripes going vertical. Just earlier the new GPU gained high RPM's and I lost signal the my monitor AGAIN. Ive now tried updating my bios, putting the card in another slot, reinstalling updates. I cant seem to find the problem and mine seems very specific. Yes, I have tried both my old and new GPU in a friends machine and they work fine. So I have ruled that out. I don't know what else to try and this is my first post on here so if you can help in anyway it would mean a lot.

If you need anymore information please let me know I feel like im leaving something out.

Specs:
ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500k
EVGA GTX 770 4gbFTW
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 (dont know the brand says G2 on the side)

Edit: Finally tried a hard reset and reinstalling windows, I cant even play games now. I used to be able to get through a match of Valorant or two, but while loading into a match it either gets a random color the beige with stripes or completely goes dark.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020
make and model of the psu?
test with igpu or another gpu?
its a Corsair TX550M and i have tried another gpu I own 2 now and they both do the same thing.. I will try igpu thank you for replying!

Edit: Tried igpu, sat through a whole game with low fps no crashes. Tested my old graphics card and that one works but it just overheats to a point where the card is burning to the touch and goes into no signal and i have to restart. dont know if the same problem would occur if i ran it for longer though. My new one i bought used the 770 made it through a valorant match finally but i launched grounded after to test and it black screened immediately after launching into world from main menu. Im really hoping im not out $100

Last edited: