[SOLVED] While playing game PC shuts down

Apr 10, 2020
Hi , I am needing your help. I built up this cheapo buget pc to play some low to mid end games like CS:GO , r6 etc. The latest upgrade in this pc was a used Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 windforce edition that i got for a reasonable price , for a while the computer worked Great! as of this point when i hop in a game Randomly restarts , I tried to look into this Problem and as i saw the card isnt overheating , until this point there was no problem , Can someone help me with this? I am 15 years old and here where i live there are horrible prices for cards , Thanks in advance!

My PC specs
I5 661
Gigabyte geforce GTX 970
6 gigs of ram
an AXP 500 watt psu
GA-P55-USB3 (rev. 2.0 or 1.0 )
A Deep Cool Cpu cooler
3 cooler master 120 fans

Because the GPU was used i replaced the thermal paste when i got it right away.

Solution
17A x 12V = 204
18A x 12V = 216
your PSU is 420W across two rails. the GPU can consume 145W. my theory is that the first rail is working now, and when the GPU eats too much power the system goes down. it was working with the second rail but if that failed you are left with 204W. the CPU can consume 87W alone, add the GPU and you are over the wattage of the first rail, no mention of other power draws on the 12V rail.

do you have access to another PSU for testing? swapping PSU is the fastest way to answer the question. get stable power.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
first guess is the PSU
that is a cheapo crapo unit.
my thoughts are you added the GPU and then the added demand the GPU was requiring has taken its toll on that PSU.
exactly what is the model unit of that PSU, on the label what is the total amperage available to the +12V rail?

Apr 10, 2020
first guess is the PSU
that is a cheapo crapo unit.
my thoughts are you added the GPU and then the added demand the GPU was requiring has taken its toll on that PSU.
exactly what is the model unit of that PSU, on the label what is the total amperage available to the +12V rail?
The model number is AXP-500P12P
And on the label there are two +12Vs one is the +12V1 which is 17A and the +12V2 is 18A

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
17A x 12V = 204
18A x 12V = 216
your PSU is 420W across two rails. the GPU can consume 145W. my theory is that the first rail is working now, and when the GPU eats too much power the system goes down. it was working with the second rail but if that failed you are left with 204W. the CPU can consume 87W alone, add the GPU and you are over the wattage of the first rail, no mention of other power draws on the 12V rail.

do you have access to another PSU for testing? swapping PSU is the fastest way to answer the question. get stable power.

Solution
Apr 10, 2020
17A x 12V = 204
18A x 12V = 216

in the gpu-z sensor rail it was fishy to me that the power consumption was only 163W . With my old graphics card which was an old 9500Gt had the power consumption was the same . So maybe could be that , can you recommend me a decent power supy which is on buget? Thanks for your time and help!