[SOLVED] While playing game, screen turns black, fans rev up to fastest speed, audio can still be heard, computer crashes

Oct 27, 2020
When playing games, most commonly last oasis, rust, and even a benchmark my screen will turn black, the fans will rev up to the fastest speed i've seen, sound can still be heard, but the system will crash and stay on the black screen. I have tested removing the hard drive. turning off XMP, updating drivers, restarting, and a handful of other fixes that were suggested in other forums. A friend suggested GPU hanging. I have searched the internet and this seems to be a common problem but I cannot seem to find a solution. The computer was built 5 months ago. The first time this happened was 2 months after building. I restarted and it was completely fixed. This happened maybe 10 times total over the next 3 months but a restart would fix this. today it happened 8 times in a row and basically makes games unplayable. I ran heaven benchmark for 5 minutes and no issues. the hottest any of my computer parts really get is about ~70. I did not overclock anything (except technically RAM -XMP- but still crashed after off). Virus scans - nothing. The computer will run completely fine if i am just browsing the web, but when I play games it will crash.

Specs are here: Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz 29 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. Z390-A PRO (MS-7B98) (U3E1) 31 °C
Graphics
VG259QM (1920x1080@240Hz)
ASUS MX239 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (EVGA) 37 °C
Storage
953GB SPCC M.2 PCIe SSD (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Solution
If after doing all what COLGeek suggested, and if still no change, remove your GPU (the RTX 2080 SUPER) and try with iGPU form the Intel Core i7 9700K. You'll have to connect your monitor to one of the motherboard's video connectors.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you tested your memory with a tool like memtest?

Is your motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

Are your video, motherboard chipset, network, etc drivers updated?

You are describing a typical heat and/or power issue. Also symptoms of a memory or driver issue. Thus, these questions.

TRENDING THREADS