[SOLVED] While Playing Games and Recording the computer freezes, goes black, and reboots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coltm09

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
I recently purchased an EVGA RTX 3060 to replace my gtx 960. That's when the crashes started. I would boot up GTA5 and record the gameplay as I played. I set gta to play in windowed 1080p and set my recording for 1080p as well. Most of the time I could play for 30min to a little over an hour before it would go down. Sometimes I could go 2 hours. What would happen is that everything would suddenly freeze for a second or two and then the screens would go black and the windows logo would come up and basically a reboot had occured.

At first I was sure my 600watt psu just wasn't enough. I bought a brand new 850watt and still the same issue persists. I want to blame the 3060 since this only started happening after I installed that, however I can't write off that something isn't happening with the CPU.

This only happens when playing games AND recording. Never when I'm just using the computer normally. I have the latest nVidia drivers installed. I have all the proper cables attached to the GPU and motherboard. Below is my system and also I have a crash log.

Ryzen 7 3700x
evga rtx 3060
x570 gaming edge wifi
psu Corsair 850watt
16 gigs 3600 Ram

Here is a link to the image of the crash log
https://ibb.co/rQ0cY4y

Solution
I recently purchased an EVGA RTX 3060 to replace my gtx 960. That's when the crashes started. I would boot up GTA5 and record the gameplay as I played. I set gta to play in windowed 1080p and set my recording for 1080p as well. Most of the time I could play for 30min to a little over an hour before it would go down. Sometimes I could go 2 hours. What would happen is that everything would suddenly freeze for a second or two and then the screens would go black and the windows logo would come up and basically a reboot had occured.

At first I was sure my 600watt psu just wasn't enough. I bought a brand new 850watt and still the same issue persists. I want to blame the 3060 since this only started happening after I installed that...

At first I was sure my 600watt psu just wasn't enough. I bought a brand new 850watt and still the same issue persists. I want to blame the 3060 since this only started happening after I installed that, however I can't write off that something isn't happening with the CPU.

This only happens when playing games AND recording. Never when I'm just using the computer normally. I have the latest nVidia drivers installed. I have all the proper cables attached to the GPU and motherboard. Below is my system and also I have a crash log.

Ryzen 7 3700x
evga rtx 3060
x570 gaming edge wifi
psu Corsair 850watt
16 gigs 3600 Ram

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...vent-id-18-microsoft-windows-whea-logger.aspx that website should help.
here's the user action just copy and pasted
User Action
  • Update the BIOS and the drivers for the motherboard chipset.
  • Update all the hardware drivers, if updates are available from your manufacturer.
  • Check the temperature inside the computer to make sure your processor and related peripherals are not overheating.
  • Check the fan on your CPU to make sure it is properly attached to the CPU.
  • If you have overclocked your CPU, reset your settings to the default settings.
  • Make sure you power supply fan is working correctly

Solution

Ryzen 7 3700x
evga rtx 3060
x570 gaming edge wifi
psu Corsair 850watt
16 gigs 3600 Ram

As to why it only happens when gaming and recording, that's due to the fact that instabilities tend to show when under intense load, which recording even if it's on gpu still can use cpu...

Ryzen 7 3700x
evga rtx 3060
x570 gaming edge wifi
psu Corsair 850watt
16 gigs 3600 Ram

if you haven't already, download and install DDU. boot into safe mode and run ddu-clicking on the "clean and restart option"
the re-download and install the latest Nvidia driver or Geforce experience (will allow you to install the driver through this application)

test to see if crashing is still occurring, if YES i would perform a clean win 10 install along with chipset and GPU drivers. if the clean win 10 install doesn't work you'll need to star isolating the individual hardware components as any part of your PC is susceptible to failure and that may be what is occurring. since it only started happening after the new GPU that would definitely be the focus of my attention

Good Luck!!!!

coltm09

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...vent-id-18-microsoft-windows-whea-logger.aspx that website should help.
here's the user action just copy and pasted
User Action
  • Update the BIOS and the drivers for the motherboard chipset.
  • Update all the hardware drivers, if updates are available from your manufacturer.
  • Check the temperature inside the computer to make sure your processor and related peripherals are not overheating.
  • Check the fan on your CPU to make sure it is properly attached to the CPU.
  • If you have overclocked your CPU, reset your settings to the default settings.
  • Make sure you power supply fan is working correctly
I was running a cpu intensive program just now and watched it crash. Handbreak was converting a video file and Cpu was being used close to or at 100%. I noticed the cpu was at 74 degrees Celsius Just before the unexpected reboot. Is that considered overheating?

coltm09

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
Tried to rule out the graphics card and ran Prime 95 to stress the CPU. It failed in only 1 hour of the stress test. It is not overclocked at all. could this be an RMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.