Question While using my GTX 1080 gpu, using dual monitors, it overheats

Aug 16, 2019
So, when I use only one monitor through hdmi, my graphics cards idle is normal at around 40 C. but once i connect a second monitor through dvi, the idle skyrockets to 60-70. and while gaming it goes up to 85. sometimes pushing 95. at 98 it crashes. I can stream, play games and run other programs in the background and rarely hit 75 C when using one monitor. but it all goes to hell once i plug in the second.

Aug 16, 2019
Is it very warm inside the case?
If so.....
I might try running with the case open and see what happens.
If you see the temps significantly lower with the case open......I would increase the case cooling.
The entire case is open at this point. also a fan on the outside blowing through it from like 5 feet away. Its just fine inside the case. I have a suspicion it has something to do with using hdmi for one monitor and dvi for the second monitor?

"I have a suspicion it has something to do with using hdmi for one monitor and dvi for the second monitor? "
Perhaps.
I have only used multiple monitors using all HDMI.
....but I could speculate that because you are using HDMI and DVI that you have two circuits working in the GPU instead of one......but I still think you should be able to do this and have the card remain a lot cooler than 98C.
Can you possible try running both with HDMI?

Aug 16, 2019
"I have a suspicion it has something to do with using hdmi for one monitor and dvi for the second monitor? "
Perhaps.
I have only used multiple monitors using all HDMI.
....but I could speculate that because you are using HDMI and DVI that you have two circuits working in the GPU instead of one......but I still think you should be able to do this and have the card remain a lot cooler than 98C.
Can you possible try running both with HDMI?
The second monitor doesnt have an hdmi port. just VGA or DVI. And my gpu only has 1 hdmi and 1 dvi port + the displayports

Aug 16, 2019
Perhaps run Afterburner, which will allow you to control the GPU fan speed and maybe you can get the temp down that way.
Thats how im tracking my gpu temps and so. even when i put my fan up before i connect both. even at 100% fan speed, it overheats post 90. is there mayhaps a setting in bios that would fix this

"is there mayhaps a setting in bios that would fix this "

I think....probably no....but I am not up on all the different BIOSes that exist.
It's worth a look for sure.

It could be that there is just something wrong with the temperature sensor.
....or it could be that there is actually something wrong with the card.

Aug 16, 2019
"is there mayhaps a setting in bios that would fix this "

I think....probably no....but I am not up on all the different BIOSes that exist.
It's worth a look for sure.

It could be that there is just something wrong with the temperature sensor.
....or it could be that there is actually something wrong with the card.
I might just have to rely on the one monitor. not happy about it. but itll keep the gpu alive longer