sunil237

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I've installed a second HDD in my PC and on the initial boot up and now standby start ups it makes a loud whirring sound to start up.

1st HDD doesn't make a sound other than ticks.

1st HDD - Western Digital Caviar Green 750gb
2nd HDD (New) - Samsung EcoGreen F2 1.5TB

I've copied about 200gb on to it and it worked, copied quite fast and had no errors in copying. There are no sounds other than ticking when the drive is already spinning, it is just that initial turn on spin that is a loud whir sound.

I've only just bought it through ebuyer so if this is a reason for exchanging I think they would sort it out.

sunil237

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
ye it is just a spin start up sound, thought I'd ask because my first one didn't make any noise.

seems like it is getting quieter as well, maybe that is just in hope that it stops doing it :D because I wanted to set it so that drive shuts down when not in use. Pure media and document back up drive.

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
well, if your PSU is mounted on bottom of the casing. it also might be PSU sound. (like mine)

best pratice for your hdd is to keep record on your smart and hdd peformance.
like using:
CrystalDiskInfo - keep graphs record and u can run this 24/7 and monitor for any error.
HDTune - you can save the result in a file, bad hard disk intended to have rising seek time and or lower performance over time.

you may also follow this patented procedure :p

Hard disk drive infant mortality test (Parris, Craig A, 1999)
United States Patent 6408406

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6408406.html

sunil237

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
It's not the PSU, I've used this computer for about a year now, everything else is fine.

Thanks for the info, I'll get crystal disk info