Whisper

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
Hi,

Would it be possible to make my graphics card's fan more silent? It is currently the loudest thing in my system and can be quite annoying. It's a Radeon 9600 Pro and it really does not get hot so I was wondering if I could slow the fan down with a resistor? The heatsink is really beautiful so I'd rather not replace it.

Thank you.

cleeve

Illustrious
I don't know, but you might be able to hook an aftermarket Zalman heat-pipe up to it.

They have absolutely no fans on 'em.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 4055

Whisper

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
Thanks. I don't think a Zalman cooler would fit because there are rather big capacitors on it. I noticed the big Zalman is higher but it seems like total overkill and I really like the copper colored cooler I have now.

So, if possible, I'd just like to slow down the fan so it doesn't sound like it's doing 'overdrive' any more. Just a big of air movement will most probably suffice. Anybody ever tried something with a resistor? How do I determine the right resistance and wattage?

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Get the ZM80C-hp, it will fit on the 9600pro, if you use the 80mm slim fan you'll get about another 125mhz more overclock on the core and if you're lucky overclock the memory by 50mhz. And this cooler is completely silent, downside is that it's 400 grams withOUT fan. So becareful when moving the computer.

-Intel PIV 2.6C @ 3.575G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Copper 2x256 4000EL memory @ 275mhz 3-4-4-8 -Sapphire 9800np @ 432/760 -SB audigy -120G Maxtor Diamond Plus9 S-ATA150 hdd -450 Enermax PSU

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not only is it noisey, but crappy! I compared a 9600 Pro cooler to an 8500 cooler, and guess what? The 8500 cooler has fins, the 9600 cooler does not! It LOOKS like it has fins, but closer examination shows it's just a folded sheat of aluminum with rectangular slots to simulate fins!

I replaced mine with a passive sink from an old MX card, then added a 40mm CPU fan. These fans are better than the ones on most coolers because they use better bearings. The slight increase in thickness means the fan doesn't have to spin as fast to deliver the same amount of air. The bearings make less noise. And the passive cooler I mounted it to has superior surface area to the original.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Whisper

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
It's not an ATI card, it's a Hercules 3D Prophet. The heatsink is aluminium with a copper color and has real fins. But the fan isn't best quality. Sometimes it's noise is acceptable, but for no reason it can start to resonate which makes an unpleasant sound.

So just slowing it down would solve a lot and I'd like to keep the nice heatsink. I'm not a gamer so I don't intend to overclock. I'll try experimenting with a resistor next weekend...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the resonation is likely caused by the bearings beeing too close to each other (ball) or by the bearing being too short (sleeve). This allows the fan to wiggle around axially, rusulting in a buzzing noise. Which is the reason I said those thicker 40mm CPU fans have better bearings.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>