novagiant

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Which brand is better ati or nvidia when it comes to power and proformance? I'm trying too find a graphicscard(s) that are good at converting videos and movies,gaming,image,and video edit. needs to have alot of power. this is for my i7 2.66 gigahertz ,4 Gb DRR3 1000watt power supply. nothing above $200

Solution
G
Lol replying to a such old post.

In my opinion, Nvidia is better. GeForce Experience is a good "update checker" and it has more features. The support is good, too.

I had many problems with an AMD video card.

(I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 video card)
Worst use of lmgtfy I've seen.
To answer your question in general ATI is in the lead at the moment in terms of performance/price. In your specific price range you would want an HD4890 or possibly a GTX 275 if you can find a good deal. If you have a crossfire motherboard and are willing to go that route 2 HD4850s would be a very good choice.

Ro5bert

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
NVIDIA over all has better GPU's for sale than AMD; the thing is they're usually overpriced a bit. If you got a NVIDIA and a AMD GPU that were equal to each other in preformance, chances are the AMD one's going to be cheaper. Overall though, I personally prefer NVIDIA because I have more knowledge about them; but you're going to get more "Bang for your Buck" through AMD.

Prithwi2050

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

Absolutely correct!! But with the recent releases of the R series, there's a host of AMD GPU recommendation from Tom's Hardware itself..

Hobs

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Seeing how we're on the subject. Is it true that AMD/ATI only pipes low sound quality through the HDMI, whereas Nvidia puts high quality (3D sound) to the HTMI.
Also, what about PhysX. How much better is it? and do you really need an SLI setup to run it?

Thanks

hobs

Prithwi2050

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

Well as far as I know AMD/ATI introduced the world to True Audio with the R9 series. Before True Audio there was no sound support from any GPUs whatsoever..

Computer__GUY

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Personally for that budget I'd get the AMD Radeon HD 7870. It's a medium range graphics card that is capable of gaming on high settings.

chicken4thewin

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Well, depending on whether or not you are gaming/streaming/etc.You may prefer to have PhysX rendering your models in games, and yes, AMD has much cheaper cards.

Swalka

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
ATI offer better value for money, and at your price range are definitely preferable over Nvidia. That said, if you find a good deal on either brand within your price range (or a cheap opportunity to SLI/Crossfire) then go with that. If you've got any particular models in mind, either post them here or have a look at www.gpuboss.com to compare them.

xBlaz3kx

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
I recommend Nvidia. You can get GTX 660ti for around 200$. Good performance, but slightly overpriced. I had an AMD gpu and i was seeing the difference when i switched to Nvidia, the details can be seen way better. The new AMD gpu's arent bad eighter.

ben001

Distinguished
Well, This is one hard question you have asked , I'm not going for any favour but when it comes to power NVIDIA wins & when it come to performance AMD wins (For budget guy), i don't know how many of them here will like this statement but this happening. Both are rivals & very competitive , NVIDIA cards are far more expensive than the AMD card's. Nvidia do have better driver support where Amd lacks. As many of them said a lot about these two but for Editing nvidia delivers best performance than amd where One basic point to differ them is : If you go for only gaming AMD is the performer & for both Editing & gaming NVIDIA wins. Now rest upto you.

G

Lol replying to a such old post.

In my opinion, Nvidia is better. GeForce Experience is a good "update checker" and it has more features. The support is good, too.

I had many problems with an AMD video card.

(I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 video card)

Solution

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

You don't want anything above $200? Then go for ATI/AMD as you do get more fps for money, the only downfall is amd/ati cards take up more power and give out a bit more heat. I would recommend Nvidia as they are better for cooling and power consumption, but amd/ati is definitely not a wrong decision. If you have enough money get a Nvidia but in a sense you would be a smarter buyer getting amd as you get more fps out of it for the value!

TRENDING THREADS