Question White corrosion on back io port

abid.dk2

Prominent
Oct 13, 2018
Hello,

i've finished my new build, and i take msi motherboard this time, its a b450m bazooka plus, i bought it november 2018, and now it looks like it's corroded, but not the brownish corrosion, but whiteish corrosion like this. I'm worried if this will shorten my mobo lifespan, cuz i don't have much money to have to replace the motherboard again. take a look, any explanation would be great :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EPipb9jD2W0JWJFJV8A7Up8uUfWSAkM6

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L1BJ9KJrGlNcU2booiO6tM3MHU5rL_Ak

I really can't see any corrosion...maybe a little bit of residue from the cleaning process? I wouldn't worry about it. That's just a shield on what looks like a DVI connector, used only if you operate an APU or Ryzen with Vega Graphics.

Do you live in an extreme humidity environment...like right on a coastal area....and that's why you have concerns about corrosion? If you don't live in such a place, I'd not worry about corrosion at all. It's just not often computer parts corrode in a relatively benign home environment. It's far more common to become filled with dust, pet hair and dander or be spill contaminated.

abid.dk2

Prominent
Oct 13, 2018
I really can't see any corrosion...maybe a little bit of residue from the cleaning process? I wouldn't worry about it. That's just a shield on what looks like a DVI connector, used only if you operate an APU or Ryzen with Vega Graphics.

Do you live in an extreme humidity environment...like right on a coastal area....and that's why you have concerns about corrosion? If you don't live in such a place, I'd not worry about corrosion at all. It's just not often computer parts corrode in a relatively benign home environment. It's far more common to become filled with dust, pet hair and dander or be spill contaminated.
Yeah its quite humid here, my town annual humidity is 75%, and yeah, everything is easily corroded here, not only electronic, but everything that contain metal, that's why im worried about my mobo, fyi im using dedicated graphic

So... I don't need to worry much?

Yeah its quite humid here, my town annual humidity is 75%, and yeah, everything is easily corroded here, not only electronic, but everything that contain metal, that's why im worried about my mobo, fyi im using dedicated graphic

So... I don't need to worry much?
OK...well...if my average annual humidity is 75% yeah, I'd be worried about it all the time too! Especially if it's not in an air-conditioned environment. With that kind of humidity, moisture can easily condense out when you shut the system down and let it cool off. I'd consider buying electronic spray coat and conformal coating my more valuable electronic equipment; Mil-Spec'ing it. Either that or keep it operating 100% of the time, keeping all parts warm so that moisture can't condense inside the case.

You can clean the connector shield with an alcohol moistened cotton swab if it makes you feel better then painting on some clear finger nail polish. I'm not sure it would help though. Most consumer electronics just isn't designed for operation in that kind of humidity...that's when you start looking for industrial and mil-spec'd hardware.