Question White light on graphic card but pc doesnt start

Dec 28, 2020
Hello, today I wanted to clean my power supply so I removed it from my pc and then reput it in. I plugged every cable I previously unplugged. I then tried to start the pc and it started, with a blue light and all the fans working, but there was no signal from the monitor, so I replugged every monitor cable and other cables but same result, after some tries I started the pc to see if monitor would work and then neither the pc would start up. I clicked the power putton but nothing happened, no fans or blue light appeared. Now I'm in the situation where my pc wont start but there is a white light on the graphic card so I don't know which component is the problem. Thanks.

My specs:
Gtx 950
i7-2600
4x 2GB RAM
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP

So judging by what you said,your are still getting power from your powersupply,since your GPU LED is on,but no signal.
I say take your GPU out of the System,plugg the video cable into the monitor,and see if you get a screen.
Also try putting ram in different slots.

Reactions: Po0L94
Dec 28, 2020
So judging by what you said,your are still getting power from your powersupply,since your GPU LED is on,but no signal.
I say take your GPU out of the System,plugg the video cable into the monitor,and see if you get a screen.
Also try putting ram in different slots.
I took out the graphic card and all the ram, then put them all again and then it worked. Thank you bro.

Edit: Damn, it worked for like 10 mins then shut down... Pc is on tho, fans are working and a blue light appears. But no signal on the monitor. What can I do?

Edit 2: I cleaned the ram sticks and it started again, only for shutting down soon after.

Last edited:
I took out the graphic card and all the ram, then put them all again and then it worked. Thank you bro.

Edit: Damn, it worked for like 10 mins then shut down... Pc is on tho, fans are working and a blue light appears. But no signal on the monitor. What can I do?

Edit 2: I cleaned the ram sticks and it started again, only for shutting down soon after.
Try clearing the CMOS,also clean your pc completely,since the shutting down after certain amount of time can be caused by the cpu overheating.Reapply thermal paste and clean the cooler.

Dec 28, 2020
Try clearing the CMOS,also clean your pc completely,since the shutting down after certain amount of time can be caused by the cpu overheating.Reapply thermal paste and clean the cooler.
It's weird though, all of this didnt happen before removing psu and reputting it in. Why should the psu substitution make the cpu overheat?

It's weird though, all of this didnt happen before removing psu and reputting it in. Why should the psu substitution make the cpu overheat?
It shouldnt make sense,but literally 4 days ago my friend and i were troubleshooting his pc,similar problem to yours.We were cleaning the dust and i removed the psu and re-did all the cable managament and when we were gonna boot it and it turned on and off and after 5 mins.Later on i noticed that there was dust around his cpu cooler and i asked him when did he reapply the paste and he said 9 years ago...
When i reaplied it it all worked perfectly.

Dec 28, 2020
I reseted the cmos and nothing changed, also my cooler is clean and I applied thermal paste some months ago so I dont think thats the problem. Any other idea?

Dec 28, 2020
possibly the powersupply is faulty.Thats the only thing that comes to my mind.And of course it might've taken the GPU with it.I say replace the powersupply.
The white light on the graphic card is on though. Doesnt this tell that the graphic card is powered and ok?

Yeah the PSU might be delivering enough power to your graphics card to just light it up and to show sign of life,but might not be efficient enough to power it while gaming,since it pulls much more wattage when its gaming.Same thing happened to me.In march when i was having problems with my gpu,i noticed that my psu was delivering enough power to light the gpu up,but when i wanted to boot it up with the gpu,nothing happened.If you notice,the moment you pulled your GPU out and pluggedf the video cable in to the motherboard,it all worked for some time.That is because the powersupply didnt have to deliver power to the GPU,which requires more power than the whole system without it.What im trying to say is that the powersupply prboably isnt enough for your build and you should get a stronger one.
BTW what is your current powersupply?

Dec 28, 2020
Yeah the PSU might be delivering enough power to your graphics card to just light it up and to show sign of life,but might not be efficient enough to power it while gaming,since it pulls much more wattage when its gaming.Same thing happened to me.In march when i was having problems with my gpu,i noticed that my psu was delivering enough power to light the gpu up,but when i wanted to boot it up with the gpu,nothing happened.If you notice,the moment you pulled your GPU out and pluggedf the video cable in to the motherboard,it all worked for some time.That is because the powersupply didnt have to deliver power to the GPU,which requires more power than the whole system without it.What im trying to say is that the powersupply prboably isnt enough for your build and you should get a stronger one.
BTW what is your current powersupply?
I got a 500 watt psu. But this is weird because I never had these problems, if the psu wasnt enough it would have showed these problems before, I got these same specs since 1 year and it always went well. And when I plugged the monitor cable to the motherboard instead of the graphic card, it changed nothing. There was always that message "no signal input". It showed these problems since I removed the psu and put it in again. I don't know what to do now.

I got my GPU and that psu in december last year.It all worked until march.Doesnt matter if it worked before,it can happen anytime.Sorry i thought that putting the video cable in ur mobo worked,i am responding to 4 threads on this topic so i mixed things up.Go to your local pc shop or a friend who has a better powersupply and see if it all works with a better psu.What is the exact make/model of your 500W psu?

Dec 28, 2020
I got my GPU and that psu in december last year.It all worked until march.Doesnt matter if it worked before,it can happen anytime.Sorry i thought that putting the video cable in ur mobo worked,i am responding to 4 threads on this topic so i mixed things up.Go to your local pc shop or a friend who has a better powersupply and see if it all works with a better psu.What is the exact make/model of your 500W psu?
Xion model XON-500F14T-201A