Question White light on motherboard for VGA

tommyW123

Commendable
Jan 28, 2020
After inserting my RTX 3080 into my Asus X570 motherboard I get no display but it lights up. There is a white light on motherboard as well listed under VGA. I have it plugged in as an 8 pin leading from the PSU that branches into two 8 pins plugged into the GPU. I put my old 2070 super in and everything works fine. Is this GPU just toast?

SETUP:

Asus x570 mobo
r9 5900x CPU
2 x 16gb kingston fury 4600mhz
Noctua D15 cpu cooler
1000 watt rosewill 80 bronze psu
rtx 3080 zotac / 2070 super zotac (using 2070 atm since 3080 isn't working)

Is this a brand new GPU ?

Have you properly connected both the 2 x 8-pin PCIE/PEG connector cables to the GPU ? Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS installed ? If not, then try flashing BIOS to the latest version, but very carefully.

Try clearing and resetting the BIOS/CMOS settings to default, and then again try installing the GPU on the PCI-e slot.

tommyW123

Commendable
Jan 28, 2020
Is this a brand new GPU ?

Have you properly connected both the 2 x 8-pin PCIE/PEG connector cables to the GPU ? Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS installed ? If not, then try flashing BIOS to the latest version, but very carefully.

Try clearing and resetting the BIOS/CMOS settings to default, and then again try installing the GPU on the PCI-e slot.

It was used on Ebay. I've tried everything you said and the same thing persists. I've opted to try to do a return or if the seller possibly had the original invoice then I can RMA it.... sucks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Put the gpu in another slot. Then try booting. The Primary slot uses pcie lanes from the cpu and often already has lanes already slotted for other stuff like nvme etc. The secondary slot uses motherboard pcie lanes, so is a lot more able to make adjustments. Once the card actually gets recognised in bios, you'll be able to put it in the Primary slot again.