Question white stains at the back of newly bought motherboard, is it a bad news or am i and my new mobo safe?

Bag of Potatoes

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
i bought this mobo and took like 10days to arrive. upon arriving i started unboxing it. all seems fine but when i flipped the mobo i saw this white stains at the back, not all over, like it's just right around each sides of corner. is this a normal thing or did they send me a bad mobo?
T2VjZ7r.jpg

I wouldnt wipe it off until you get plenty of good pictures of it.
Where did you buy it from?
I would contact the manufacturer for a solid answer, it looks harmless enough, could be residue, but could also be something like mold which would indicate water damage.

Bag of Potatoes

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
i dont see any discoloration, probly you cant guys cant tell coz of the lighting on the pics arent the same. yeah it could be scratched off, i tried. also no signs of water that gotten inside the box. and yeah i asked the seller about this and according to them it's the coat from the back of mobo and it's no threat for the mobo itself. also i dont see the same thing going on at the front so guess i wasted your time here guys, my apologies
LXLlg4y.jpg

oQNmYf5.jpg
Ycg4dHH.jpg
wxdVl0A.jpg

Bag of Potatoes

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
seller, i got it from a local online store called lazada where i got all parts of my prev pc build. it also has positive rating and positive feed backs so i didnt hesitate to take a bite.

I agree it's probably residue from the manufacturer's cleaning process. But I don't agree with just wiping it off and considering it harmless at that point. Being that widely scattered suggests it's also going to be in nooks and crannys you can't see. The entire board needs to be properly washed to be assured of getting the contaminants off. That's something you could do, with isopropyl alcohol and distilled water with a drop or two of hypo-allergenic (coloring and odor free) dishwashing detergent. But I don't think that's a great idea on brand-new hardware still under warranty.

The manufacturing contaminants can lead to corrosion formation and micro-cracks in solder joints. You'd see it as random problems that come and go which very frustrating. This could be worse if you live in a humid climate as that accelerates the process.

I'd think about getting a return on the board and sending it back if possible.

Last edited: