White vertical stripe on Toshiba laptop screen

venus11

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hi! Please help! A white vertical stripe appeared on the right side of my Toshiba Satellite laptop. What does it mean and what can I do about it? Thanks alot!

Justin7771

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Did you damage your screen in any way? It could be that or perhaps an artifact caused by a dying video card. I would check the temperatures of your GPU. Also, does the stripe ever go away whenever you bootup etc?

netyoda

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
It probably means your display has gone bad. Depending on how old your system is, it should be covered under the original manufacturing warrenty but if not, you can Google for 'replace LCD screen for your particular model' or just buy a new laptop. Prices are insanely low right now!

Is some cases, it could be a loose video ribbon cable but you will have to pop the keyboard or however you open a Toshiba and check the flat, ribbon cable running up to the LCD.If you see any breaks in the cable or it might be loose from the main board. Good luck!

venus11

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

yes, the stripe is there when i boot up and doesn't go away

venus11

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

i am not aware of having damaged the screen. The stripe doesn't go away

DM186

Splendid

How old is your laptop? Do you think something got spilled on it? You might of overheated at one time and caused your GPU to mess up. Unless you are a computer repair tech I would take it in and get check out.

We could be guessing all day long as to what happened. But there is a big problem and a quick fix is not going to happen here. Now if I am wrong and You are a computer tech then you with the help of the more knowledgeable People on here you might have a chance to fix it. I do wish you the best of Good luck.

carsjam

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
Not sure how old this thread is, but my 10yr old work-horse has the same problem -- 1 inch wide stripe running up and down from top to bottom, about 3" from the left side on mine.

I 'spose it's age, but I don't know what triggered it. It doesn't seem like burn-in, and I've tried leaving it on overnight with a full white screen with no effect.

I'll probably be shopping for a replacement for Boxing Day, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hang on to my (up til now) old faithful Toshiba satellite.

Jim C

DM186

Splendid

Yeah this thread was from 12/19/2011 and it should have been left alone acccording to Tom's rules.

I would say your GPU or even your MOBO on certain parts of it are shot.

It will probably will cost you the same as a new one to get it fixed.

I would put this question to the community and seek new answers. Just don't put it in a long drawn out question.

Also when putting out your question make sure you put your specs with it that way it will help them to trouble shoot it better.

Good luck to you I hope some one can give you a fix but as old as it is well you know the answer to that one. Cheers