[SOLVED] White VGA Light on Mobo, no display

Dec 26, 2020
Hi,

I recently replaced my CPU and MOBO in the beginning of December, and was able to run everything fine the whole month.
I replaced the CPU/MOBO because games would occasionally crash and I would get a no display error for a couple of seconds before returning to the desktop screen.

Today, the VGA light turned solid white when I turned on my PC and wouldn't connect to my monitor by HDMI or display port.

• I tried re-seating the GPU, and replaced both PCI power cables connected to the PSU.
  • I can launch everything fine by unconnecting the GPU, and plugging the monitor into the MOBO. I used this method to flash the MOBO to update it.
  • I tried switching around the RAM
  • I am unable to try another PCI slot for the GPU on my MOBO.
  • I've yet to try using a different GPU.
The lights and fans for the GPU turn on when I power on, but the VGA light stays on, and I can't see what is happening because no monitor will connect.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I've spent some hours on this and am getting frustrated :(
I've seen some people suggest trying a different GPU to see if there are still issues, or taking the GPU to a repair shop to see if it will work on their computers.
Looking for advice on the best course to take, or other fixes to try.

Thank you for your time and help
-Caleb
  • Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL15 Memory
  • Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card
  • SeaSonic FOCUS 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
Have the GPU in the system but connect the monitor to motherboard's output (integrated graphics). Go to windows device manager and see if your GPU is detected.

Unless you do what you already said, another GPU in your system, or test your gpu in another system, then there is little to try as is.
Have the GPU in the system but connect the monitor to motherboard's output (integrated graphics). Go to windows device manager and see if your GPU is detected.

Unless you do what you already said, another GPU in your system, or test your gpu in another system, then there is little to try as is.

Solution
Dec 26, 2020
Thank you for your reply.

This morning I was able to power on plugged into the GPU and successfully login to windows.
There was still the VGA light on for a short moment when powering on each time, but hopefully the issues are gone.

Thank you for helping!