white wire missing from main connector on power supply

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1419089&CatId=106

My power supply (as pictured up there) has a missing white wire on the
connector that goes to the motherboard. What will this do? Does it
have to do with the fact it is a dual 12V rail power supply?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-white-wire-missing-main-connector-power-supply-ftopict56509.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=284110

forumposter32 wrote:

> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1419089&CatId=106
>
> My power supply (as pictured up there) has a missing white wire on the
> connector that goes to the motherboard. What will this do? Does it
> have to do with the fact it is a dual 12V rail power supply?

The white wire is the -5v, which was eliminated from the ATX
specification some time ago.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 27 May 2005 17:35:42 -0400, forumposter32
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1419089&CatId=106
>
>My power supply (as pictured up there) has a missing white wire on the
>connector that goes to the motherboard. What will this do? Does it
>have to do with the fact it is a dual 12V rail power supply?

No, it's probably the -5V, which is seldom if ever used
these days.