Question Who and where is Skytech Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2019
I recently bought a custom built computer from Skytech's website, paid for 3 day shipping, and it will probably be a full month before I even receive my computer. I emailed them and they gave me a reply with a technology + move + holiday season volume excuse, which is a default and common excuse for most companies, excluding the move excuse. I am a little annoyed, but I understand some good things take time. I bought a pre-built CyberPower PC twice in the same week from the same Best Buy and the hard drive from both computers stopped working in a day. I am a little desperate for a working computer from a reputable company. I didn't realize how hard this would be. I found Skytech through google search and after reading reviews I thought I would give it a a shot.

Since I paid them and have to wait, I wanted to know who they are and if they are reliable most of the time. After doing some research about the company, I got absolutely nothing because there are no news articles verifying their business, no wiki page, and their address is suspect. This company is selling computers all over the United States and no one is asking questions about their company and if they are reputable. From customers' posts regarding Skytech's customer service, I gathered that it is one guy's cell phone. Therefore, does anyone know anything about this company? Is this a few guys working out of a garage or a large company with a factory? Any help would be great!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I had never heard of them. So, I also Googled.
For what it's worth they are for sale on their own website as well and through WalMart, Amazon, and Newegg. I see several videos about and of unboxings of product.
I found a couple of "reviews" but most of that was comprised of metadata collected from user reviews, so no real help there.

I would mention that in my past experience, even with dealing with someone like Dell, there is often a fine print that states build time will be "X", but then the shipping (when completed) will be the time frame you pay (extra) for. Additionally, if you selected parts that are in high demand you may be waiting on restock.
I would consider that if the build is something you want, give it a bit more time. Hopefully they are communicating with you, or still within the time frame specified in the small print. I wouldn't let it linger too long lest you lose buyer protections through your card/bank/service.

Excuse me stating the the obvious, but your attempts to research this company's reputation is somewhat belated if you already bought a system from them, don't you think?

For what it's worth, they are based in southern California (Support >> About Us).

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
Excuse me stating the the obvious, but your attempts to research this company's reputation is somewhat belated if you already bought a system from them, don't you think?

For what it's worth, they are based in southern California (Support >> About Us).
Well as stated in my thread post, I researched the customer reviews about their products. They are sold through Best Buy and Walmart so I thought that would be proof that they are reputable, but I was wrong. I looked further into the company itself and realized there is very little information about this company. Now, I am asking for information from people with knowledge about the company. Do you have any or just statements about the obvious?

Dec 2, 2019
I had never heard of them. So, I also Googled.
For what it's worth they are for sale on their own website as well and through WalMart, Amazon, and Newegg. I see several videos about and of unboxings of product.
I found a couple of "reviews" but most of that was comprised of metadata collected from user reviews, so no real help there.

I would mention that in my past experience, even with dealing with someone like Dell, there is often a fine print that states build time will be "X", but then the shipping (when completed) will be the time frame you pay (extra) for. Additionally, if you selected parts that are in high demand you may be waiting on restock.
I would consider that if the build is something you want, give it a bit more time. Hopefully they are communicating with you, or still within the time frame specified in the small print. I wouldn't let it linger too long lest you lose buyer protections through your card/bank/service.
Thank you punkncat! I found the same. I know that the delivery is pretty much what I am paying for. You're right and it might be time to restock. To be honest, I would rather get a computer that works instead of crap that fails like CyberpowerPC. Right now, I am just searching for information for others before they buy. It is too late for me. I made my purchase and have to wait and see. I don't like that there is no information out there, so I am trying to remedy that.

Well as stated in my thread post, I researched the customer reviews about their products. They are sold through Best Buy and Walmart so I thought that would be proof that they are reputable, but I was wrong. I looked further into the company itself and realized there is very little information about this company. Now, I am asking for information from people with knowledge about the company. Do you have any or just statements about the obvious?

No, I have no personal knowledge of them so I'll just "butt out" as I think you were (quite rightly) hinting at.

Dec 2, 2019
"Since I paid them and have to wait "
Can't you cancel the order or dispute the charge as product never delivered?
I can do that, however I don't mind waiting. I really just want a working computer, but I don't like that there's no information about this company out there. I want to remedy that for others interested in buying one of their computers, especially their custom build computers directly from the company.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020
My experience with them is terrible. I got a PC from them in augs 2019. It ot a ryzen 7 3800x and some Corsair ram. I found out only one ram slot was working. I emailed them and said they can either send out a motherboard or I send my computer and and they'll do it for me. Me being a single dad working 2 jobs thought ill just send it in. Two weeks roll around and I email asking them how's my PC. I get a reply saying something along the lines of " oh I'll get it moved up in the que for you " . Week three comes around. I ask for an update oh we don't have any replacement motherboards. I'll send you a PC to use till we mobos in stock. I wait a week. Email them today. Apparently this "new" "loaner" PC they send me was going to be mine to keep. They never knew that I upgraded my parts. Never gave me my hard drives with my data back. Im waiting to here back today. I sent all the invoices for the parts I put into it. And has Jimmy from skytech there CEO is deliberating on what to do.

May 15, 2020
Apparently, SkyTech Gaming is really Brainstorm Corporation:

Brainstorm Corporation
SKYTECH GAMING
1620 Proforma Ave
Ontario, CA, 91761-7605 United States
(888) 370-8882
www.brainstormco.com
Company Type: Corporation Independent

https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...oration.7402e5cff106a16a8e9c6c8e4397fef0.html

That address matches the one on SkyTech's "About Us" page.

I ordered a PC from Newegg which turned out to be manufactured by SkyTech. It arrived May 1st; initially I was impressed that they got it here on time (I'm in Hawaii and a lot of sellers won't ship here at all, or it takes a long while). Less impressed, once I found out it was missing the SSD. They shipped me an incomplete, un-bootable machine. Newegg's tech support was no help, and all they could really do is connect me to SkyTech. SkyTech said they'd send me the replacement SSD, with Windows pre-installed, and also gave me a link to a page of installation instructions. They gave me a tracking number by the end of the day. But the tracking number came up as "Pre-Shipment: USPS awaiting item". This was May 6th. It's now May 15th, and the tracking number still says the same. I've now heard from them that the SSD was "lost at USPS" and they're not sure how that happened.

I told them they had until close of business today to get me some proof that the SSD was on its way. I just now heard back from them that they've failed to do that. So, as I promised them, I'm telling Newegg to give me my money back. (Because unlike SkyTech, I actually try to keep the promises I make.)

May 15, 2020
Well, after that rant, now I have to backtrack somewhat. The replacement SSD did arrive, and I now believe some of the blame lies with the USPS for failing to update their own tracking number. It never reflected in their system that they had seen the item until it was almost here -- as if the package fell off the map for 11 days. That isn't SkyTech's fault (though maybe they should switch to UPS or Fedex).

I did end up with a working machine in the end, and am glad I won't have to return it.

Jun 12, 2020
I ordered 2 Custom builds from Skytech gaming. These are identical builds. The first was delivered on May 13 2020.
Now when I ordered these builds, I gave specific instructions.

Let's start with the builds:
Tower: Thermaltake Level 20 GT ARGB
Motherboard: ASUS X570 Hero vii
GPU: Nvidia GTX 2080 ti 11 GBs
RAM: 32 GBs GSkill RGB w/heatsink
SSD: I opted to pay more for the "name brand 1TB SSD (Not a fan of WD and WD is an option before "name brand)
HDD: 4TB (brand unknown at time of order)
AOI radiator: Skytech is the only option.
Fans: I opted to pay more for 7 Thermaltake fans over the Skytech fans.
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro.
Total Cost: Just shy of $3500 each.
Total Weight: 102lbs.
Instructions I have: AOI can be top mounted or back wall. I want to keep the 2 200mm fans in the front of the tower for intake. I want positive airflow.

The first arrived and all booted just fine. Then I noticed some issues. Then more issues. And more.
  1. The RGB's are not all synced to the Motherboard. The 200mm are set to the RGB button on the tower and the rest are synced to the Motherboard. Irritated but I can fix that. (Ordered a controller through Thermaltake $24.99)
  2. They left the 200mm fans in but mounted the AOI behind the front fans. This was clearly not what I instructed. More irritated but I can more the radiator.
  3. I noticed that all of the fans that I ordered were in the tower but they replaced the 140mm rear vent fan with one of the 7 120mm Thermaltake fans but failed to send me the 140mm that they removed. (I live chat with them and basically get "oops".
  4. The SSD to is a WD!!! I paid $175 for a $120 POS SSD? Hell no. I live chat with them and am told "It's a name brand". I laughed and told them that I chose to pay more to avoid a WD. They finally agree to send me a replacement SSD. I'm expecting a Samsung or something in that range. Nope!!! They send me a HP EX900 SSD. So I get a $140 SSD instead? And a POS SSD to top that? The HP EX900 has an unreal fail rate.
The fan they sent is some cheap outdated Thermaltake fan. Not the one the tower comes with.

At this point I am just livid. I just found out that the second one (PC) is being delivered Monday.
I'll review the second and update.

Jun 12, 2020
Okay, this is the follow-up on the second $3500 Skytech custom build. (Exactly Identical builds)

"Tower: Thermaltake Level 20 GT ARGB
Motherboard: ASUS X570 Hero viii
GPU: Nvidia GTX 2080 ti 11 GBs
RAM: 32 GBs GSkill RGB w/heatsink
SSD: I opted to pay more for the "name brand 1TB SSD (Not a fan of WD and WD is an option before "name brand")
HDD: 4TB (brand unknown at time of order)
Power Supply: unknown
AOI radiator: Skytech is the only option.
Fans: I opted to pay more for 7 Thermaltake fans over the Skytech fans.
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro.
Total Cost: Just shy of $3500 each.
Total Weight: 102lbs.
Instructions I have: AOI can be top mounted or back wall. I want to keep the 2 200mm fans in the front of the tower for intake. I want positive airflow."

The first tower had some crap 750w Non-modular.
Second tower had a Thermaltake 750w Smart RGB.
First Tower the Tower is a Thermaltake Level 20 GT ARGB Plus.
Second Tower is a Thermaltake Level 20 GT. (Suddenly no RGB and over $100 cheaper than the RGB I paid for)
First Tower had the correct motherboard.
Second Tower has an outdated version of the same board but no built in wifi. Price point? Over $100 cheaper than what I paid for.
First Tower SSD price I paid was $175 and they tried to get away with putting a $120 Western Digital. After fighting with them about it, they ship me some crap HP SSD worth $140.
Second Tower actually came with a Samsung SSD that is even to the price point I paid.
First Tower Has a GTX 2080 ti 11 GB GPU.
Second Tower has the exact same.
First Tower RGB's were not synced to the Motherboard 100%.
Second Tower was not synced to the Motherboard at all. They added an internal switch. You have to open to tower to adjust the RGB settings.
First Tower HDD was a Seagate.
Second Tower was a Toshiba.
First Tower the Tower was in good condition.
Second Tower had the front glass plate busted off.

Overall assessment is that this company is really good at overpricing but making it appear that you might get good components.
You would think that they would attempt to keep clients who would drop over $9000 into their company in less than 2 months. But that isn't the case.

Advice: AVOID.
After looking at open market price points vs Skytech gamings Price point to undercut components?? Build your own. Cheaper and you know what you're getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.